Is there any situation that you know of where someone is LEGALLY required to have 5 grand in the bank, to either immigrate or emigrate..?

To the US from Nigeria, or from Nigeria to the USA? (I am pretty certain my female friend is a victim of a scam artist. Apparently he has told her he LEGALLY needs 5000 in the bank for her to visit him). She lives in the USA, he lives in Nigeria. So is there any reason someone would have to have a certain amount... show more To the US from Nigeria, or from Nigeria to the USA?

(I am pretty certain my female friend is a victim of a scam artist. Apparently he has told her he LEGALLY needs 5000 in the bank for her to visit him). She lives in the USA, he lives in Nigeria.

So is there any reason someone would have to have a certain amount of money in the bank? THIS HAS GOTTA BE A SCAM!
Update: Bonus: They have been communicating for a while, she thinks she is in love with him... I assume this is a very common scam? These guys get gullible and lonely American women to fall in love and then say they need money to either come to the USA or for the girl to come to Nigeria from the USA? As far as I can... show more Bonus: They have been communicating for a while, she thinks she is in love with him... I assume this is a very common scam? These guys get gullible and lonely American women to fall in love and then say they need money to either come to the USA or for the girl to come to Nigeria from the USA?

As far as I can tell from the internet, the cost of a tourist visa is no more than 250.00, and the cost of a one way plane ticket is around 1,500 to 2000.00 dollars. There is no other cost.