Is there any situation that you know of where someone is LEGALLY required to have 5 grand in the bank, to either immigrate or emigrate..?

To the US from Nigeria, or from Nigeria to the USA?

(I am pretty certain my female friend is a victim of a scam artist. Apparently he has told her he LEGALLY needs 5000 in the bank for her to visit him). She lives in the USA, he lives in Nigeria.

So is there any reason someone would have to have a certain amount of money in the bank? THIS HAS GOTTA BE A SCAM!

Bonus: They have been communicating for a while, she thinks she is in love with him... I assume this is a very common scam? These guys get gullible and lonely American women to fall in love and then say they need money to either come to the USA or for the girl to come to Nigeria from the USA?

As far as I can tell from the internet, the cost of a tourist visa is no more than 250.00, and the cost of a one way plane ticket is around 1,500 to 2000.00 dollars. There is no other cost.

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

Same SCAM has been happening in the UK.

• james

Over $5,000 is needed. The U.S. has income or proof of finance laws for many to get a tourist visa to come & visit the U.S. For financial immigration it takes over 1 million in assets you can invest in America. To gain that. I think it is $250,000 in assets in a bank for a tourist visa to visit the U.S. from many Countries. For a financial visa from the U.S. to the Philippines you must have $250,000 U.S. to invest in the Philippines. Other Countries have other amounts. But $5,000 is chump change to fill out for a financial investment visa to move to any Country. Takes more than that. & other regulations like you must make x amount of jobs for there citizens & such to gain them. So for that visa. He would need move 1 million or more to the U.S. submit a business plan, get that approved. Then come join his money in the U.S. Not her money to his Country. That is a scam as to amount in the bank being that. & he would need a letter of credit that he has that much money in a U.S. bank to invest in America.

Oh, man; what a scam! Typically Nigerian, although Ghana is certainly catching up in the scam department.

(I am pretty certain my female friend is a victim of a scam artist.

Probably TRUE.

For immigration purposes it is true a person needs to show some funds to cover their normal expenses of getting set up in a new place.

The Nigerian does not need to have money in the Bank for an outsider to visit.

The outsider (your friend) does need to show they can afford their visit to another country. There is no magic number amount.

A REASONABLE amount for your reasonable travel plan,

• Lisa A

Of course it is a scam/ Nigeria is the home of all scams like this. Although Nigerians pretend to be stranded Americans (especially stranded American service men) online.

Not only is it a very old and very common scam, but the chance of a single Nigerian man to get a tourist visa to the United States is pretty much zero, even with $50,000 in the bank.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • audrey

Dr. Phil has shows about this Nigerian scam all the time.

This is a SCAM! Notorious Nigerian Fraud, very common, and widely reported as a scam.

totally a scam.................

• outonalimb

You know it. Now if I could just convince her.....