Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 4 months ago

is 9 IX or VIIII?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • anand
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Best answer

There are no four I-s coming together in Roman number system. The I on left of X indicates that I has a negative value, ie, 10 - 1=9.

• 3 months ago

Only if tally marks it would be four lines and a cross line over it. Which looks very different than the v. Roman numerals were written on narrow stone slabs. So they were short to be the three characters only. Unless year like 1903 MCMIII

Source(s): Edit add https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/encyclopaedia/g... Roman numeral IIII on dials. VIIII = 9, (...) XVIIII = 19, (...) XXIIII = 24, to limit examples to the numerals that would later be marked on a dial to indicate the twenty-four hours in a day. During the Imperial period, the subtractive principle
  • 4 months ago

IX is correct

In Roman Numerals, you never use more than 3 1's.

the only correct way to signify 4.........is IV = 5-1

If you wanted to write 1994......You wouldn't write MDCCCC for 1900. you write MCM

1000 + (1000-100) = 1900

to write the 94........again, you don't write LXXXX for 90. again, it would be XC......100-10

to write the 4......you don't write llll you use lV

so 1994 would be MCMXCIV......NOT MDCCCCVXXXXIIII

• 4 months ago

IX. There is never more than three ones added to a five.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

IX is the correct annotation.

• John P
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

It could be either, in Roman thinking, but in practice IX is used. The use of those four instances of "I" is in fact never seen in modern times. A thorough scan of ancient documents would probably turn up a few instances of "--IIII" at the end of a Roman numeral.

• 4 months ago

IX is 10 minus 1 aka 9

Most people would probably recognize the 5 plus 4 VIIII standing alone as an intended 9 too .

But writing it that way would get would confusing in combination with other random numbers.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

IX. The rule is the number X9 is written this way. So "18" would be "XVIII" but "19" would be "IXX".

• Like999Iblis
      Lv 4
      3 months agoReport

I think they might tell time ixx is 10:20 in the morning in Rome Italy.

• 4 months ago

It is IX but I have seen it the other way too.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

IX, at least in Superbowls.

• Jolene
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Traditionally it's IX, but historically it has been written both ways.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.