Why are white people the majority and Native Americans the minority?

Since North America belonged to the Native Americans, how come they are not heavily populated here like other races are in their own continents? I remember reading about them in history class as a child but all they ever talk about is Christopher Columbus and how he "discovered" America... but what about... show more Since North America belonged to the Native Americans, how come they are not heavily populated here like other races are in their own continents? I remember reading about them in history class as a child but all they ever talk about is Christopher Columbus and how he "discovered" America... but what about their history and their culture not involving Columbus?They seem.to have a culture that is unique to their own people which is not taught to us in school. I just think it is rather strange that although slavery took place, Africans were still able to multiply and populate their continent. Europeans, and Asians as well. I am not that familiar with the origins of Australia so I will not speak on that. Antarctica never had any native people, and South America may still have some of their native people. What happened to the Native Americans that were in the U.S. and how did white people become the majority in the United States when they are not the original dwellers of the land?