Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 5 months ago

Who uses a baby monitor I dont believe in taking eyes away from a infant till the age of 1?

Am I too protective

I used one for the first 6 months. Do whatever makes YOU comfortable.

I raised three children and NEVER used one.....besides, they didn't have Baby Monitors when my three were born. It is a parent's responsibility to tend to their child(ren) - NOT an electronic device.

I never had one, but I can see the benefit of one if you are on a different level of your home than the baby or need to step outside or in the basement they would come in handy.

How do you sleep then? Your eyes are closed.

Commonly monitors are used overnight so you can hear the baby crying if they’re not in the same room.

I never had one. Would have liked one sure. But I was perfectly happy cuddling my baby 90% of the time. He always cried angrily if I left him in a cot.

Because of cot death risk I was told I could never leave him sleeping in my bed. I had to wait until he fell asleep in my arms and wait until he fell even more deeply and then creep creep incrementally to lower him gently in the cot so he wouldn't wake up.

I would have loved a monitor but we were only just making ends meet. I just assumed monitors were too expensive in 1999 in New Zealand we use to get hit with expensive import charges for everything for living on the other side of the world but this seems to have changed.

The sad thing is I've read there is no real proof that a monitor will stop cot death from happening. :-( Back sleeping is supposed to be very important, the correct kind of cot or pod and no pillows or puffy quilts or bumper pillows in the cot.

• Suzy Q

How does that work exactly? Do you have a team of three people working 8 hour shifts plus a backup team in case the watcher needs to use the bathroom or, goodness forbid, takes a day off?

I'm serious here. I'm baffled by the sheer logistics involved in having a pair of eyes glued on an infant every second of every day and night. With I assume two parents, at least one of whom presumably has a job, and the occasional babysitter, I just don't see how you could possibly make this happen. For one it would mean that you and your partner would never sleep at the same time.

Yeah, we had a baby monitor. The classic audio only kind. And at night we got whatever sleep we could, without one of us forcing ourselves to stay awake to obsessively watch baby.

• Suzy Q

You need to improve your reading skills if you think ANYTHING I said in my answer implies I EVER ignored my crying baby. What do you think the baby monitor was for? Amplifying the sound of baby crying so I could ignore him? Or so I would be sure to hear him and be able to care for his needs?

I probably wouldn't have bought a baby monitor myself, but someone gave me one as a gift.

I did end up using it and liking it for times when I needed to get things done, but the baby was asleep in her nursery. I would turn the monitor on and put the receiving end in the room I would be in. It was great for when I needed to be preparing dinner or doing some housework.

My house was just large enough that if I was in the kitchen and baby was in her nursery, I might not have heard her cry especially if I was using any noisy appliances.

I had nine children zero baby monitors. You are an idiot.

• rose4 months agoReport

Thank you maybelle... some people on here are so mean and rude.. I probably didnt add enough details to my question.. I live in a big extended family so I always have somebody keeping eye on my child.. and it is because I am very afraid of cot death and also not trusting people with my child

baby monitor is standard

• Jill

I didn't use one. I didn't hover over my infant 24/7 either and he survived.