Has there ever been a remake that was better than the original? If so, what?

Cleopatra - the version with Liz Taylor was the best

Hanna the show is Better than hanna movie

Hmmmmmmmm, better is a matter of opinion........

But the remake of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan"........ Heaven Can Wait, with Warren Beatty was pretty good.

Many were not even aware of the 1941 original "Here Comes Mr. Jordan". In the original, he was a boxer, who was destined to be the champ,..... not a pro football player.

Both were excellent........so hard to say which was "better".

John Carpenter's The Thing.

• Killmouseky

Not even close. The 1951 version was vastly superior.

A raisin in the sun

Usually people like the one they see first better. I've never seen any remake be even as good as the original.

• Cathy

I liked the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice much better than the original movie and miniseries adaptations. Keira Knightley made a good Elizabeth Bennet.

The Blob from 1988 is way better than the original

Generally speaking, the best remakes are ones that are considered so great that the majority of people aren't even aware there was an original. For example...

-Ocean's 11

-Scarface (seriously, who even knows about the original)

-The Wizard of Oz

-True Lies (the original was French, so a bit of a cheat)

But some of my own favorites include True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma.

Did you ever see The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart? It's one of the best films ever made, but the story was made into two films before. One had Bette Davis in it! (Satan Met a Lady). The Bogart one is much better.

Also Cecil B. DeMille made The Ten Commandments twice, and the second one is better. He made The Buccaneer twice, but the first one is still better if you ask me.

Also, The Birdcage (with Robin Williams) was a remake of a French film, La Cage Aux Folles. I thought the original was hilarious but the remake is better!