patty
patty asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

they say to rest your meat after u cook it but I don't do this as am scared it will go cold. Does anyone rest their cooked meat?

• Mark

Yes. Meat won't "get cold" over the 20-minute "rest" period, ESPECIALLY if you lightly cover it with aluminum foil. (Food continues to cook after it is taken out of the oven and the juices "normalise".)

Resting a steak or roast for five minutes will not make the meat go cold. Just cover it loosely with foil. Resting allows the juices to distribute evenly through the meat, so that when you cut into it, they don't all come out on the plate and leave the meat dry.

It rests on it's way to the table. By the time I've served up the salad or whatever we are having with it, the steak has rested enough.

You generally don't lay it out in the open to get cold. I made shrimp the other day. After frying on high heat for about a min or two I covered it and let it sit, resting, while I prepared the taco shells. Same thing with steak. After just about blow torching it with the broiler, I leave it in the oven with the door open. The outer cm of the meat is sizzling at 500 degrees. When you let it rest, that crust acts as a tiny inner oven to cook the center of the cut.

If you were to cook it all the way through on full heat, the using itself to cook itself effect would keep cooking it, tensing the muscle tissue to become indelibly hard. When that's an issue with some techniques, we use cold blanching to stop that effect. We cool it down fast so it stops continuing to cook. Resting indeed accounts for it continuing to cook. If you blanched a steak you would wash off all the glaze and seasoning. So resting is the only option.

It's very rare I cook a joint of meat but my partner always rests it for a few minutes and it's much juicier and tender. Covered with a bit of cooking foil it stays hot for longer than if you cut it and served it straight out of the oven - that's when it starts to cool down quickly.

When I cook a steak I cook it rare, rest for around five to ten minutes and then very quickly finish it off in the pan with butter. Like you, I want it to be really hot. The steak is far nicer for being rested.

A large roast, turkey or other large cut will not go cold for a while. As a matter of fact it continues to cook an increase of 10 degrees is normal. (This is why you take the roast out when it is below the temperature you want the final meat to be.

A steak does not need to rest as long so from the time you take it off the heat, place it on your plate, carry the plate to the table then sit down and serve the rest of the items the meat has tested enough.

Same with a piece of chicken, serve it, put the sides on your plate it has rested enough.

Yes I rest my meat.

Red meat has quite a bit of fat and fat takes a long time to cool off.

• CB

I rest it about 5 minutes, when I see the juices leaking onto the board (not taking up anymore juice) I serve the meat.

• Cara

Yes, it's better that way, as others have said - the meat is juicier. You can cover it with foil, which will help.

• Clive

It doesn't go cold that fast, especially a big joint, and it tastes better when the meat has had time to soak up its juice again. So of course I do this.