Mike asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How can I get my dog to stop biting?

She is a baby Siberian husky and she won’t stop chewing. She bites, scratches and likes to bark sooooo much. I am putting her in puppy classes soon but anything I can do in the mean time? Thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Puppy classes do absolutely nothing for behavioral issues. Puppy classes are great for a bonding experience and learning basic commands for your new dog, but biting and other bad behaviors are a whole other issue.

Its perfectly normal for puppies to play bite, but you should teach them early on NOT to bite you or household objects. The biggest mistake people make when their puppy is being bad is they get mad at the dog. Correcting your dog feeling annoyed or angry makes the dogs behavioral issue worse. You have to calmly and unemotionally correct them.

If your dog is biting your hand (or furniture), you'll probably feel very frustrated because it actually hurts, but calmly remove their mouth from your hand and redirect her play time with a toy. Do this every time and eventually she'll learn play time is for her toys.

Whenever she barks, ignore her, giving her any attention when she barks annoyingly or for no reason will make her do it even more. I babysat a mother german shepard and her 10 month old son one time and her son kept barking in her face it was so annoying, but I was so amazed by the mother dog because she wasn't doing anything and eventually her son gave up and stopped barking.

Huskies are not a dog for someone who is getting a dog for the first time, or for someone who doesn't know too much about dogs. With huskies you have to be prepared to stimulate their brain and keep them entertained. Toys and practicing tricks are a great tool. Make sure to walk your dog enough appropriate to her age. When she gets to be 10 months you should be going for a 45min walk at the minimum.

The only person who can completely fix your puppy's biting, barking, and chewing is you. Sending her to a boarding camp for a week or two, or even a month, will not help her if you are not heavily involved in teaching her.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A "baby" so how young is this pup? Was it with its mother and litter mates until at least 8 weeks old? As it sounds like it has never been taught bite inhabition which the beginnings are learned with siblings/mother and the new owner then has to continue the training....... pups chew to relieve boredom, to learn about the world around them and to relieve anxiety often from the pain of teething, so chewing is a very important part of any dogs life and NOT a bad behaviour, you just need to make sure they chew the correct things and not what you don't want them to chew....

Biting you exchange your fingers for something the 'pup' can chew, like a carrot from the fridge, scratches.... you make sure its nails are clipped short and get off laying around on the floor with the pup, correct ANY jumping up, or just get up, walk out of the room closing the door behind you for 30 seconds or so, so 'play' stops, same with barking, ..... however it sounds like this 'pup' is in a home where its owners have no clue about the breed they own, no idea about the training that needs do DAILY and it is not about "putting her in puppy classes soon " you are the one who needs the training, dog training classes should be called dog owner training classes as it is always the people who need the training of how to train and what to do /not do with their dog

• 5 months ago

Watch videos of Cesar Millan - the Dog Whisperer.

• 5 months ago

I hope YOU are going to these puppy classes, because it's essential she listens and obeys YOU, apart from it being the best way to bond with a puppy. Of course she bites etc. She's a puppy and knows no better. She must have toys to play with, and you have to divert her away from, or remove, the things you value - and which might be dangerous (eg electric cables etc). How well she matures into a well-mannered adult depends totally on you and how effective you are at TRAINING. Keep calm - quiet but firm correction is essential so she understands what is allowed, and what isn't.

You are on a long road there - this isn't a breed for the novice imo. Provided her breeder is experienced and responsible, that's who you should be in touch with re any problems you might have.

Hang in there, and be patient.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bite her back........

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Go to Cesar Milan's (The Dog Whisperer) web-page.....he's brilliant at sorting out canine troubles.

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Anon...I don't...they have no idea what they are talking about...they probably treat their dogs as children and dress them up too. Pathetic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.