Can I substitute (pinto) bean water for beef stock in French Onion Soup?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

Good lord no way. The beef stock provides some of the flavor. Pinto beans have very little flavor. But what you can do is cook Navy Bean soup rather than FOS.

You clearly have the onions; so get a chunk of boneless ham to add and you can make really great Navy Bean soup (pinto beans will work). Boiling the ham in the water with the beans and onion will give the soup a great flavor. Add catsup to taste while cooking the mixture. As the ham cooks it'll become fork tender; break the ham chunk into bite-sized pieces when that happens.

• denise
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I dont see why not, but I'd probably add a beef stock cube as well, so its closer to the authentic recipe.

• 5 months ago

Not if you want it to taste like French Onion Soup.

You can sub in vege broth, but bean water...just...no.

• John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You will have bean and onion soup and it might be quite tasty. It will not be French Onion Soup in any way.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I don't think I would, but I use vegetable stock all the time. (No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I think combos of meat and cheese are strange.)

• 5 months ago

You can use the water but it won't give you any beef flavor.

• God
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It will definitely taste different. That's the way new recipes are discovered. Give it a try.

• 5 months ago

Yes go do it it works

• joe
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

As long as you do not care about the taste.

• 5 months ago

Probably will alter the taste.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.