Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 6 months ago

Why do lots of seemingly intelligent men become mindless morons about sport? Am I missing something here, owing to my gender?

Favorite Answer

Men are by nature competitive.

When we aren't competing ourselves, we like to watch others do so.

It's just the way we're wired.

But rest assured, after the game we'll get out there and change the oil in your car or fix the leak in the roof.

It can be a "weakness" for even the most discerning. Some people don't know how to handle a situation they have no control over, i.e. being a non-participating spectator for a team they root for. If one has played the game, though, on any level, they might know how to spectate with maturity and restraint. When the Hawks chose the rub-slant play that ended the game I knew all I could do was shrug. I can't imagine what others might've done, though... probably some broken glass lol.

It's atavism. We tend to invest ourselves in sports so much as a substitute for combat. We're better than the apes at the other watering hole, and we'll prove it, too.

As someone who used to be a sports-hating girly girl who came around, perhaps I can give a bit of perspective.

Sports serve several psychological purposes. First of all, they tie people together, creating a much needed sense of community that is lacking in our modern world. Second, they serve much the same purposes as the reading of many novels--creating heroes and villains that help us learn about ourselves and others through stories, or helps to fill an unfulfilled longing. There is even a willing suspension of disbelief involved in order to invest one's self in the narratives, which partly explains some of the irrationality of sports that leads its followers to be called fans (a.k.a. fanatics).

• Nous

It actually replaced tribal wars where people got killed. so do not knock it!

Sports or fashion, Male and female, Dumb and dumber. Buff and beautiful. The two extremes for genders in our culture. Yeah its nonsense to those who never had a chance, and religion to those that did. The dominant culture.

No, but now some impressionable women think they should care these days too. Ask them why.