Is California Dreamin proof that a song doesn't have to have great lyrics to be a great song?

When you think about it, it doesn't have much substance. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful song.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

California dreaming is a history of their beginning, an example is Mama Cass was with the Mugwarts, and bumped her head in St John giving her a higher range, McGuire and McGuinn were smoking pot and gaining popularity hence ..."McGuinn and McGwire couldnt get much higher...., ....really catching fire in LA. Every word references their experiences from the early days of the band. Once you know the history and what each line is referring to, its an amazing lyrical piece of poetry. Way better than today's lyrics so "bus down thotiana busdown”

• Petter
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, for sure. Here's another one, imho....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajew1ZMxjkM

Youtube thumbnail

Ola - Tonight I'm Yours

• 7 months ago

Yes, many songs have bad lyrics. Try to find another way try to be like Jesus in character.

• 7 months ago

All of Ariana Grande’s lyrics are garbage and she’s one of the most popular artists in the world. There’s more to music than lyrics.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Sorry you didn't like them, but they are among the best of lyrics from that era of rock.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

The HELL they are!

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

All of the Mamas songs were great.

• 7 months ago

They're good lyrics. I first heard of it in The Poetry Of Rock book by Richard Goldstein when I was a kid.

https://www.kupindo.com/Umetnost/53516497_RICHARD-...

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It has great imagery and tells a great story for those who understand it For a pop song, then or now, I think it's better than most.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.