Can you relist in the Air force?

Can I commit to four years then when my contract ends do another 4 years. I'm planning on doing that just in case I decide I want out of the military and go back to the civilian life. Someone told me you can't do that because once your contract ends it's over, you can no longer reenlist or it's very hard to reenlist.

• Daniel
    1 year ago

It's called "re-enlist."

Of course people can re-enlist. How else to you think enlisted people make a career out of the military and get a retirement? Do you think all of the CMSgts are just people that got promoted quickly in 4 years?

UPDATE: I think you are confusing normal re-enlistment, when someone signs up for another 4-6 years without a break in service with people that do their time, get out, and then try to come back in later. Those people are considered 'prior service' and it is difficult for them to come back on active duty once they have left.

1 year ago

Sure but who would want to?

"...once your contract ends it's over, you can no longer reenlist or it's very hard to reenlist."

They only say that to people like myself who would make exceptionally terrible government employees.

• 1 year ago

If you were successful in the Military, yes you can re-enlist.

• RICK
    1 year ago

You can reenlist in the military on or before the last day of your contract.

If you wait until after your contract has expired its considered "a break in service" and is much harder to do

• 1 year ago

You will have the opportunity to re-enlist prior to the END of your contract. I think there is a misunderstanding on exact wording here.

If your contract actually ends, you are out. Then getting back in, is extremely difficult. You can re-enlist usually for 4,5,or 6 years at a time.

Source(s): Retired AF SNCO.
  • Bill-M
    1 year ago

Yes you can RE-Enlist after your first four years.

• 1 year ago

If you serve successfully, and get the training and the promotions you can re-enlist.

• 1 year ago

at about the 3 year mark, you will get a letter from your commander telling you if you can reenlist or not.

different jobs have different time windows to reenlist, the more needed the job is, the larger the window to reenlist

some jobs you might be able to reenlist, but then you must retrain into another job.

very few jobs allow you to reenlist after you are separated at the end of your contract