Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 3 months ago

if you had to choose would you categorize the strauss waltzes as classical music or pop music?

would you put the strausses in the same box as beethoven and mozart, or burt bacharach and the beatles?

• Gregg

Classical music similar to:

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

Chopin's Nocturnes

strauss music is in the lighter classics category,I still enjoy ormandys recording of it,through my 24 speaker systeme de la moozique\

great in your face woodwinds,,strings,and some bass shakin too,

It's undoubtedly classical. Today, it's used so much that it may sound pop... But at the time that he wrote it, it was not as popular as it is now! The composition and orchestration style is way above pop genre.

• TedEx

Light classical

When they were written Strauss waltzes were popular dance music -- more like the Bee Gees or Glenn Miller than like Burt Bacharach.

But since Strauss waltzes require an orchestra, and there are hardly any orchestras outside classical music these days, I'd call them classical now (especially "Geschichten aus dem Wiener Wald" which is close to a tone poem).

[Mamianka is correct about the doubtful utility of labels.]

Yes, I'd call them classical.

I own a chamber music business - providing small classical ensembles for events. Most are weddings, but we also have provided groups for many Viennese balls. I own about 300 works for balls. The full orchestrations do us no good, so we have located pre-WW1 arrangements for reduced ensembles, as well as more recent arrangements. The artistic elements remain - but yes, these were written for popular function. So were Sousa marches. There are countless examples in history of good composition created to serve a need. Would you denigrate Bach cantatas (not on the level of a Strauss waltz!) because they were written in a form applied to a function? Do you scorn fine architecture because it is NOT pure sculpture, but actually an office building? Art does not have rigid boundaries, but is fluid. I have no problem playing a Mozart work at a cocktail party. Possibly, that is why he wrote that! Is it also concert quality composition? Sure - but within limits, no NEED to choose a label.