Ame asked in PetsOther - Pets · 7 months ago

Can I keep male and female I desexed rabbits in the same hutch?

Would my rabbits have babies less often if I kept them together? I have heard that it’s true that they don’t as they are friends more and I have had experience where this happened and they only had litters once a year or every 6 months.. what do you think? I wouldn’t seperate the female from the male..

• Jack H
    Favorite Answer

Not recommended, if they're both whole, sexually he will breed the doe almost to death, killing any babies they have...

• Jack H

Thanks for BA.

Ever heard the saying 'breeding like rabbits'? If you leave them together, that's what will happen. This isn't about friendship with animals. Reproduction first, possibly friendship second. Get her spayed if you prefer to have them together.

Sorry CHBW, I write before reading!! Two minds eh.

Why do you mention "desexed" rabbits then wonder about them having "babies"? Have you never heard the expression "breed like rabbits"? You can't keep a buck and a doe together because they will breed all the time. Once the doe kindles, the buck will kill the kits so he can breed the doe again. If he doesn't, the doe will be so stressed she won't take care of them.

Btw, I meant UNDESEXED