Sean asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 6 months ago

AR-15 or Mossberg 500 - what is the best for self-defence?

I've checked the guide (https://gearhunts.com/ar10-vs-ar15/) and see that the AR-15 is perfect for self-defence. But Mossberg 500 is also a legendary shotgun for the same goals. So what is the best?

• Phil

I have both but the sound of a shotgun being racked is usually enough to change the way an intruder feels about his recent life choice.

• Quinn

You need to do a better job at researching. There is no such thing as perfection. There is no one firearm for all situations. And owning a gun does not automatically give you the skills to use it well and effectively. It takes dedicated training and that means more money for ammo and range fees.

Anyone who thinks seriously about home defense needs to find a new home.

• BBean

What famous person in abashed history are you quoting?

I own both.

For home defense - go with the pump shotgun. Nothing says you are opening up a #10 can of whoop-@ss like the sound of a fresh round being 'racked' into a pump shotgun chamber. Upside to shotgun - you don't have to be picky about sighting, the shot probably wont go through you house wall and into the neighbors house wall and hurt them. Pump shotgun is the most diversified gun known to man - you can load grizzly bear killing slugs to grouse stopping bird shot and all manner of things in-between. The ammo is cheap. The pump is reliable even when crusted with leaf litter.

AR is not my choice for home defense unless I am going outside with it. I have fired an AR inside a building - the noise is horrendous, crap goes flying off the shelves, ceiling tiles fall down - its a ton of distraction. Good chance the noise is going to make your kids panic...… instead of staying in their room safe they are going to come running into your line of fire.

A smart person would get the shotgun first - because they cost less and the ammo cost less and now you have great protection. Then you train the wife to handle the shotgun. When she is good with it - then go buy your AR carbine. This way you can back her up, or, she can back you up.

If you live in the sticks - you want both. If you are a city dweller - you want that shotgun. The AR-15 ammo that will not penetrate an apartment wall is called the 'Glaser Safety Slug' and they sell for around $30 for 6 rounds. That is $150 to fill a 30rd mag. Not very cost effective.

• Mr.357

For close up use (most self defense cases) A shotgun is far superior.

Mossberg model 500.

For home defense, either will do the job nicely, personal defense, they are hard to carry and conceal.

My brother has the Mossberg shockwave,,swears by it.

My primary home gun is an old Winchester DBL 'coach gun' the one with rabbit ear hammers. I have no worries.

AR-15 for sure, Mossberg 500 doesn't hold very many shots, can only shoot as fast as you can run the action, and is very slow to reload. An AR-15 style rifle is much better than the Mossberg 500 at doing all of these things.

Friend when you're in a situation of self-defense a semi-automatic weapon although it can kick out a lot of bullets. When a person is in a self-defense situation their hands have a tendency to freeze up and your mind has a tendency to freeze up. If it was me I would have the Mossberg 500 with birdshot in it. You have a much better chance of hitting the target that's coming at you say if you're in your house without blowing your wall away are killing somebody on the other side of the wall that you don't want to hurt. Also the Mossberg will have a tendency to make such a thunderous noise when you fire it did it should scare the living crap out of whoever it is that you're firing at! If you're in the woods I need protection. Nothing beats a shotgun with decent size pellets in it. To blow away what is attacking you. Besides that it's fun to put dragon's breath in a shotgun and fire it at the attacker and watch as he bursts into flames!

Self defense from what? What is your environment? What is your skill level with either?

Why the Mossberg and not the Remington 870 (my preference)?

• Eldon M1 month agoReport

Shotgun by all means, If the outlaw is far enough that you need the AR. then he is no danger to you. If he is near you and puts you or another person in fear of his life, then by all means the Shotgun, I prefer a pump but any reliable one works well.