My child homeschooled 9th grade and wants to transition to public HS. The HS wont accept his credits! Says he must repeat 9th grade! Ideas?

repeat 9th grade................

• Ludwig

That is why you Homeschooled your child in the first place.

The founding fathers never mentioned the '9th Grade' in the Constitution.

With faith, all things are possible.

I saw in your comment to another answer that you are in Georgia. I'm pretty certain that in Georgia they are supposed to allow him to take the end of course benchmark tests for credit. However it's been awhile so I'm a bit out of the loop. Most of my friends whose kids ended up attending high school went to private school. The couple of kids who went to public school started off with 9th grade or earlier.

However, Georgia has such a large and diverse homeschool community that I have to wonder what experience he feels like he is missing.

Have him repeat ninth grade. He's probably behind the curve academically anyway, so it would help him.

@sha_lyn68:

"Why are you assuming he's behind the curve?"

Because I've worked in education for over 17 years, both at the high school and university level, and EVERY student I've ever met or worked with who had been homeschooled was, without fail, behind the curve academically. And most of them were behind the curve socially as well. I'm not saying there aren't rare exceptions, but I've quite literally worked with thousands of students over the years...and I never encountered the exception.

I sincerely hope your son is not behind the curve, but due to the very nature of homeschooling, chances are very good that he is. Repeating ninth grade and reviewing concepts he MAY have learned already isn't a bad thing at all. It would provide good reinforcement of his prior knowledge and, even if all of it does happen to turn out to be stuff he already knows, then all of his classes should be 'easy As' for him and he'll start off his public schooling with a rockin' GPA, which will look great on his transcripts and may help qualify him for enrollment in honors and/or advanced placement classes in the future. Seriously, what's the worst that can happen if he repeats? He graduates at 18 years old instead of 17? Big deal. Tons of kids graduate at 18 instead of 17. I did. And, your son will get a good year of academic review (if indeed it is review and not new material for him) to boot. In my professional opinion as an educator/teacher/academic advisor, there is much to be risked and little to be gained by attempting to force the issue.

@cool:

Wrong. We merely hate the thought of children being cheated out of a proper education because they were instead homeschooled.

@defend:

Hahaha! Sorry, but the research doesn't support your opinions. Try again...

@defend:

You're actually attempting to pass the NHERI off as an legitimate, unbiased source?!? Hahahah...oh, that's adorable!

@Ludwig:

"Why do you despise such children who are 'marching to the beat of a different drum'"

I regret to inform you that your entire premise is false. I realize that you must be disappointed. Sorry...

Source(s): three college degrees, including a Master of Education (M.Ed), and 17 years of professional experience as a teacher, educator, and academic advisor
    • defend liberty

Well, to those who have commented here, we have tried. Unfortunately, anonymous is just deluded, living in her own little bubble.

• drip

You check state law. You check with other homeschooled parents. See if any have gone through this. Talk to the school district or the Superintendent. You may try the public library. Ask a research librarian to help you. You need to know your rights

In most states you have to be approved through a school or school district to home school. Give this approval to the school along with the records you were required to keep.

But, laws to vary from state to state so get familiar with yours (although since you were homeschooling you should already be very familiar with them)

• sha_lyn68

Then Most states after that only have a minimum amount of reporting such as a standardized test either once a year or every three years, and in many states the tests scores are not even reported to the state but are kept by the parents in case the child wants to go to public school.

Repeating 9th grade will give him lots of confidence which will help his social relationships too. Just do not give him the idea that this is a negative and he will be fine with it.

My youngest sister was doing poorly in her UK school at your son's age and transferred to a US school which meant she repeated two years as US schools are well behind ours. My parents sensibly did not point that out to her and she just thought she had become a superstar. Helped her no end!

• sha_lyn68

How would repeating a grade he's already completed, thus labeling him as a failure, give him confidence? What makes you think her son needs help in his social relationships?

maybe you could try another school

Perhaps he can take a test to prove that he has learned the ninth grade skills and is ready to begin 10th grade.

• I have gone back and forth with the school in meetings after meetings. I asked them the same thing! They will not budge! I'm in Georgia and the school system out here is not what I'm used to coming from the Pacific NW.

No do it yourself.........

• I agree! I'd love to give them the middle finger, to be honest, but my child is wanting a high school experience so bad. I'm just trying to think of ways around this mess.