My gun waa stolen i need to report it but lost the serial number? Can i file a report on a gun without a serial number?

Report it stolen and give Make and model and tell them when and where you bought it. If they want the serial number they can get it from the gun dealer, assuming you had a background check on it. (Background checks are de facto gun registrations, page three is all they really need to find out who owns what.)

• Robin

yes of course ........................

• BBean

If you bought from a FFL then report to LEO so it can be filed stolen with as much description possible...chances are you will never see it again so it`s the CYA method.

If you bought from a private sale....evaluate it in your mind, get over the loss, and think about the things you liked or disliked about it and look forward to your next purchase.

Most of the time people do not want their stolen stuff back.

• BBean

Rarely do you get ANY stolen item back or quickly, and more rarely, the same condition. Insurance Co`s do pay when numbers, receipts, and/or photo produced. (If) you do happen to get it back your financial situation may have changed to not being able to reimburse the Insurance Company.

If bought from s dealer or FFL, there will be records of the sale, registered the county registered in will be best bet.

Report the theft anyway, you may get lucky. Hard part is proving a gun is yours without SN.

A friend had a pistol stolen years back, never saw it again.

I keep full files of all my guns, my.45 was PPTY and copies of all paperwork to manufacturer sales, copy of blue card included, bough from a sheriff detective helped.

If you remember what you bought and when you might be able to either check your FFL or your old emails for a receipt if you purchased it online.

If it was a private sale try tracking down the previous owner, it's worth a shot!

Good luck!

Always keep a copy of your serial number.

• Adam D

Great advice, and extremely helpful now that he's already had the gun stolen without making a copy of the serial number.

• C T M

You can but the serial number definitely helps. 30 years ago I had a gun stolen. I did not have the serial number but had everything else, description caliber size, everything. It's possible if the gun was bought within the last 3 years the the dealer may still have a copy of the 4473 in his files. The police can ask him for that, he doesn't have to produce the form if they don;t wave a warrant or subpoena.

• C T M

I keep it all on a flashdrive and that flashdrive is stored at my bank in a safe deposit box. I keep a hand written hard copy in my desk.