My gun waa stolen i need to report it but lost the serial number? Can i file a report on a gun without a serial number?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Report it stolen and give Make and model and tell them when and where you bought it. If they want the serial number they can get it from the gun dealer, assuming you had a background check on it. (Background checks are de facto gun registrations, page three is all they really need to find out who owns what.)

• Robin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

yes of course ........................

• BBean
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you bought from a FFL then report to LEO so it can be filed stolen with as much description possible...chances are you will never see it again so it`s the CYA method.

If you bought from a private sale....evaluate it in your mind, get over the loss, and think about the things you liked or disliked about it and look forward to your next purchase.

Most of the time people do not want their stolen stuff back.

• ...Show all comments
    • BBean
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Rarely do you get ANY stolen item back or quickly, and more rarely, the same condition. Insurance Co`s do pay when numbers, receipts, and/or photo produced. (If) you do happen to get it back your financial situation may have changed to not being able to reimburse the Insurance Company.

• 6 months ago

If bought from s dealer or FFL, there will be records of the sale, registered the county registered in will be best bet.

Report the theft anyway, you may get lucky. Hard part is proving a gun is yours without SN.

A friend had a pistol stolen years back, never saw it again.

I keep full files of all my guns, my.45 was PPTY and copies of all paperwork to manufacturer sales, copy of blue card included, bough from a sheriff detective helped.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If you remember what you bought and when you might be able to either check your FFL or your old emails for a receipt if you purchased it online.

If it was a private sale try tracking down the previous owner, it's worth a shot!

Good luck!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Always keep a copy of your serial number.

• Adam D
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Great advice, and extremely helpful now that he's already had the gun stolen without making a copy of the serial number.

• C T M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You can but the serial number definitely helps. 30 years ago I had a gun stolen. I did not have the serial number but had everything else, description caliber size, everything. It's possible if the gun was bought within the last 3 years the the dealer may still have a copy of the 4473 in his files. The police can ask him for that, he doesn't have to produce the form if they don;t wave a warrant or subpoena.

• ...Show all comments
    • C T M
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I keep it all on a flashdrive and that flashdrive is stored at my bank in a safe deposit box. I keep a hand written hard copy in my desk.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.