Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 5 months ago

Why is Christmas such a painful day for so many (same with Thanksgiving)?

• susan
    Favorite Answer

Same reason that Valentines Day can be hard. People have a picture in their minds of an ideal version of those days, and when the reality doesn't compare well, they feel it as a loss. In fact, you might have a perfectly good ordinary day, but on certain calendar dates, that feels like it isn't good enough. We want more.

This is especially true as it pertains to family relationships. We wish for our holidays to be spent with family members who accept and love us as we are, and enjoy the same traditions that we enjoy. In reality, our family may be dysfunctional, or unavailable due to distance or death, or may not have ever existed at all, in the form we have in our mental picture.

Holidays can still be a time of joy, if we learn to appreciate what we can have, and let go of any detailed expectations.

Because it seems a time for drawing in near and loving family and friends.Some folks have few of either,SO they feel more alone.

Everyone seems to die around Christmas! My Dad last Christmas Eve my gran the year before a week after.

Some people are totally alone at a time when you're meant to have people around you. It's a time of giving and showing thanks to people with gifts and making an effort to cook for them.

I lost all my family apart from my Mum and step-dad after my Dad died due to family falling out over his Will. His kids from a previous marriage isn't like that they weren't as included as they thought they should be, after not bothering with my Dad for 20 years. They only knew he was sick because I tracked them down on social media.

But Christmas has been better since. I save money on giving presents to people I dislike, who see me once a year, tell me everything I'm doing wrong then clear off. It feels more cozy with just three of us and our pets!

they dont' get their starbucks

Some people are lonely, others don't get along with family.

• A C

Their expectations are too high.

they might be missing loved ones....My parents are gone but we do have nice dinners with my son and daughter and my brothers and even first hubby and his wife too sometimes.

• Cogito

For some people who are alone, it's just a harsh reminder of their solitude.

We don't do Thanksgiving here in the UK, but personally, I no longer enjoy Christmas - I'm just glad when it's over. My parents died and without them, there doesn't seem any point.

I trundle a hundred miles to spend the day with my cousins and their families, but to be honest, I'd rather just watch TV at home.

Because some have ppl that died in their family during then