what are your thoughts on AR-15s?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

They are a cheap accurate lightweight rifle available in many calibers.

• 5 months ago

They are alright guns, but I like AK's better.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i wouldnt buy one but would take one if its free

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

While I love things that are modular and highly customizable, AR-platform firearms are just something I've never gotten into.

• ...Show all comments
    • Adam D
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I've considered buying one just in case the political climate in the coming years would make it more difficult.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Take it or leave it. The platform makes for some interesting builds. The round is the child of a popular varmint round. Their accuracy sucks beyond 250 yards and piis poor in heavy brush.

Decent for home/small property defense, good capacity, easy to shoot.

Over rated in my book but wouldn't pass a super deal on a good one.

The gas operation system could use improvements.

Maybe I am biased for having a fantastic varmint handgun I like better and just as effective for home defense.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The bullets are too small (.223/5.56), I prefer a AR-10, it shoots a .308/7.62x51.

1. The 5.56 was developed for military use, when you have all of your armed buddies with you. Some of those buddies may be small and/or are women. In general, smaller people don't like shooting a full-power rifle. I am not small.

2. In a military battle, getting shot with a .22 will take you out of the fight. Killing the enemy isn't necessary. It may be when it's just you vs. some thugs.

3. More power is better. The .50bmg or a 338 lapua will deliver more power. Sadly, the 338 lapua and .50bmg costs 5 bucks a round. A .308 cost about 0.30, which by comparison to .50bmg is not much more than 5.56 at 0.20.

4. Unlike the military, I will not be supported with grenade launchers, machine guns, planes, tanks and ships. I may need a gun that can shoot through light vehicles and body armor with just a single round. All by myself.

5. Any bullet weight in 308 can cleanly kill any animal in North America. That might come in handy if I get hungry in a survival situation or if a bear in my 34 acre back yard gets hungry for me. A 55 grain 5.56 bullet may not be enough.

I could give you a few more reasons I like an AR-10, but that's my top 5.

• ...Show all comments
    • Russ in NOVA
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Given your comments, I suspect that you have very little experience with either cartridge and you have just been hanging out on the wrong forums on the internet.

• The preferred weapon of choice for white nationalist Americans hell-bent on killing people.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The standard 5.56 is a little small and underpowered for the things I usually shoot at. I prefer a bolt action .30 caliber like a .308 or .30-'06.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They suck............

• Matt
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

2 thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, they'd also be up.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.