what are your thoughts on AR-15s?

• Mr.357
    Favorite Answer

They are a cheap accurate lightweight rifle available in many calibers.

They are alright guns, but I like AK's better.

• Robin

i wouldnt buy one but would take one if its free

• Adam D

While I love things that are modular and highly customizable, AR-platform firearms are just something I've never gotten into.

• Adam D

I've considered buying one just in case the political climate in the coming years would make it more difficult.

Take it or leave it. The platform makes for some interesting builds. The round is the child of a popular varmint round. Their accuracy sucks beyond 250 yards and piis poor in heavy brush.

Decent for home/small property defense, good capacity, easy to shoot.

Over rated in my book but wouldn't pass a super deal on a good one.

The gas operation system could use improvements.

Maybe I am biased for having a fantastic varmint handgun I like better and just as effective for home defense.

The bullets are too small (.223/5.56), I prefer a AR-10, it shoots a .308/7.62x51.

1. The 5.56 was developed for military use, when you have all of your armed buddies with you. Some of those buddies may be small and/or are women. In general, smaller people don't like shooting a full-power rifle. I am not small.

2. In a military battle, getting shot with a .22 will take you out of the fight. Killing the enemy isn't necessary. It may be when it's just you vs. some thugs.

3. More power is better. The .50bmg or a 338 lapua will deliver more power. Sadly, the 338 lapua and .50bmg costs 5 bucks a round. A .308 cost about 0.30, which by comparison to .50bmg is not much more than 5.56 at 0.20.

4. Unlike the military, I will not be supported with grenade launchers, machine guns, planes, tanks and ships. I may need a gun that can shoot through light vehicles and body armor with just a single round. All by myself.

5. Any bullet weight in 308 can cleanly kill any animal in North America. That might come in handy if I get hungry in a survival situation or if a bear in my 34 acre back yard gets hungry for me. A 55 grain 5.56 bullet may not be enough.

I could give you a few more reasons I like an AR-10, but that's my top 5.

• Russ in NOVA

Given your comments, I suspect that you have very little experience with either cartridge and you have just been hanging out on the wrong forums on the internet.

• The preferred weapon of choice for white nationalist Americans hell-bent on killing people.

• L.N.

The standard 5.56 is a little small and underpowered for the things I usually shoot at. I prefer a bolt action .30 caliber like a .308 or .30-'06.

They suck............

• Matt

2 thumbs up. If I had more thumbs, they'd also be up.