Should I try to protest this ticket?

I was coming up to a light that had just turned green. I was going about 10 to 20 mph. The police had someone pulled over in the turn lane. The light turned green and everyone started moving and drove on by. The police had just finished the traffic stop and was in his car about to leave. I couldn't get over because there was a line of cars next to me and cars behind me. The police started to pull out in front of me and I slowed down and got over as far as I could but it was to late to stop so I just eased on by at about 10 mph. Then he pulled out in front of the guy behind me and pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for failure to yeild to an emergency vehicle. I didn't know he was about to pull out until it was too late I thought he was at a traffic stop. The law says that if you can't get over to slow down 15 mph under the speed limit. I was going well under that. Any reasonable police officer would have just waited until it was clear instead of forcing himself into traffic. But he almost hit me as I was driving by. Should I protest or just pay it?

You can if you wish to end up paying quadruple the fine!

Why? You broke the law. Just because other drivers do NOT do the right thing - does NOT mean you can do it too.

• atomic fireball

Typical cop comment. Meanwhile we all enjoy watching the videos on YouTube of cops pulling people over for FAR worse crimes, like drunk driving and reckless speeding and then letting them go after discovering they’ve pulled over a fellow cop. Oops!!!

• donnie

If you can’t get over your suppose to slow down and yes you should. That cop was probably digging for something to give you a ticket on.

Oppression recession they cant decide if they want our taxes or what.We lise our licences and jobs then you want get much if anything

• james

Did the cop have his lights or emergeny equipment on? If not. The cop is guilty of failing to yield to oncoming traffic. As it is just another vehicle on the road! For it to then write a ticket is theft! Or coinage to its Judge. In the preforming of its duty. So yes take it to court. You need not say how fast you were going. If ask say 5 to 10 mpr. Most States are 15 mpr. or under in that situation. So no laws broke there. This cop seems to have a extreme attitude problem as so many do in America. The Look at me I am a cop & am allowed to be this way. Unsafe to carry a gun on the streets type. Even with lights on it commited a highly questionable act. By not checking traffic before pulling out into it. They are not above the rules of the road. But most think they are. Point that out also as cops thinking gets far to many killed in America. It is hard to beat a ticket with out a Attorney in America. As that allows the good citizen to point out what wrongs they are to there Judge. Were a Attorney knows how to sugar coat it & let the cop walk away still thinking.

If you were going 10 to 20 mph approaching a light that had JUST turned green, you EARNED a ticket.

It would be a good idea to get yourself a ticket lawyer and contest it you tell the judge that it was impossible to yield because he pulled out in front of you and that there was a line of traffic in back of you and you tried everything you could to slow down and yield. But if you had stopped fully you would have created a traffic accident.

You don't "protest it." You plead not guilty and go to trial.

Protest it. The way you describe it, the Police by their lack of attention caused you to commit a dangerous driving offence. This could waste a lot of their time to contest and prove they followed proper procedures. I think everyone should have a dashcam now that everything has gotten so corrupt.

There's no sense in protesting anything police related. They can, and do, whatever they want. Last time I tried to file a complaint against the police, they threatened to arrest me.