Should I call the police on my brother?

My brother is mildly to medium autistic and he has been abusive to me for years. He lives with me because our parents are dead and I am his designated payee for his disability.

Tonight just a few minutes ago, he got angry at me because I asked him to help clean the kitchen and he stomped over to me with his fist raised ready to punch me. When I cowered, he grabbed my hair and told me I was going to what HE said and then flung me away by the hair, nearly making me fall to the floor.

I just don't know what to do with him anymore. He's hurt me in the past when I threatened to call the police. I'm seriously scared he's going to end up killing me. I don't like the idea of calling the police because he IS autistic, but because he's also threatened to attack to police if I call them and I don't want the police using deadly force on him.

24 Answers

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago
    Favourite answer

    You don't know how much this question upsets me as a mother with two boys one autistic and getting bigger all the time and one older boy, my husband is already dead and my older boy will have to care for younger one.

    I was going to say police until you said he'd attack police. Maybe you could try some mental health help lines of the kind you can contact about serious issues. Maybe it would be better for him to go into a mental health facility just for a little while until he calms down and gets to realise he is not entilted to be violent with you. Ugg mine just punched a massive hole in the wall that I don't know how to fix. But he can be reasoned with when in a good mood.

    One thing you could do is tell him that you love him but that you need a little help around the house. Let him know you love him but that violence is not right and could lead to a bad future for him. Maybe if he understands that you really love him it could make things a bit better between you. Another person said that you can talk to family protective services and talk to a case worker I've never heard of that but that sounds good.

    You could also ask for help at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

    You could also go into the police station to have a full talk with him and tell them that you don't want him to get hurt and you fear any deadly force being used. The problem is that there are good cops who would be really helpful but also bad, useless cops so you'd need to get to talk to one of the good understanding ones but if you went into the police station and you had a cop that was being useless and had a bad attitude then you could just not tell them your location and try something else maybe.

  • 12 months ago

    Call the police !! ...This man is your brother , not a little child . He is responsible for himself , he is not your problem and he is capable to care for himself.. This really irritates me too because these people the autistics and aspergers ARE NOT HANDICAPPED , they are perfectly able to work and they have the system completely fooled like they are retarded or something and it is not the way it is . They simply are dif and like anyone dont want to work and they have found a way to beat the system which to me is the same as no it IS stealing that money they are given ... I don't like people like that.

  • 12 months ago

    Use a cattle prod on him.. He;ll learn who's boss.

  • 12 months ago

    I would seek help elsewhere first. Because of his condition police would be my last resort. It's important that you yourself seek help from a professional, someone who knows and understands autism to equip yourself with the skills and knowledge on how to deal with someone who is autistic. This may change your approach towards your brother and maybe his towards you (or not). Find out if he would be willing to talk to someone who can help him. If it gets to the point where you have to involve the police it is important that you explain the situation fully and how you feel in order to avoid them shooting him if they have to respond

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 12 months ago

    yuh yuh yuh yuh

  • 12 months ago

    Take him to a psychiatric hospital

  • 12 months ago

    Do you own the place where yall are living? Are you his legal guardian? If you are not able to take care of him then you should not be taking care of him. If he's not able to live on his own there are places where he can go depending on his condition. But also remember this a lot of people who are autistic or have other mental issues end up homeless if they don't have any family willing to take care of them. You're in a real tough situation. Do what you think is best. I'd suggest maybe talking with a social worker and see what your options are.

  • 12 months ago

    yes, most definitely, he is dangerous.

  • 12 months ago

    He may be autistic, but he does not have the right to threaten or abuse you. Call the police. If he attacks them, then he will be taken away and you and the neighbors will be safe.

  • 12 months ago

    If you're female then yes. If not, handle business.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.