Soar asked in HealthOther - Health · 7 months ago

I am a 60 year old male. I will be having a hip replacement in 3 weeks. How long will it take to get my range of motion back? or how much?

30 lbs over weight, but fit most of my life,

Favorite Answer

It would depend upon the state of your general health and your level of strength before the surgery.

You may be asked to get out of bed and walk with the assistance of a physical therapist the same day you have the surgery.... And why didn't you ask your doctor about this stuff?

You'll have to go through physical therapy when the doctor says it's time.

You've got this!

• Tavy

Everyone I know in the U.K. were back to normal in a month pain free and walking well. Good Luck.

I had my right hip replaced 20 years ago and felt immediate relief as soon as I woke up from the surgery. I used a walker for two weeks and walked on my own after that. The physical therapist will instruct you on how to move after your surgery so that you don't dislocate that new hip before it has a chance to heal. I was driving after six weeks and moving around well by then. I don't think you could resume athletic activities at that point, however. Your doctor can guide you. I'm sure there have been many advances since then that make the recovery easier.

My 84 year old neighbour had a hip replacement about a month ago. She is driving again (automatic) and frequently ignores using her walking stick when moving about the house and garden. She does still take it when shopping etc.

It is really up to you and how quick you want to get back to a normal pain free life. My mum had a hip replacement few years ago due to an accident and it took around 3 months before she could go out again but most of it was anxiety and fear probably because she was fit and healthy before the accident and was 75 years old but brother in law got it done few months ago and he was up and about within few days, Good Luck

• Andy C

It depends on your overall health and diet and if you are diligent and go to physical therapy soon after the surgery.

You may never get full range of motion. We aren't cars. You can't expect new parts to perform like new.

• paul

great question for your doctor ,