Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Why do women who want to have children work in fields of work that aren't compatible with raising children or taking time off?

They claim they want to be "independent hard working women" but at the same time want to take time off to have and raise children. They can't have it both ways. For example, a woman who is an airpline pilot that works red eye flights and weird hours, or a woman who works in manual labor in mining or in jobs that require intense travel. They say that they have trouble dating and finding a partner because they are always traveling and hate their jobs, but they are so stubborn about being a "feminist" and "independent" that they won't switch careers

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Why do men who want to have children work in fields that aren't compatible with raising children or taking time off? Men are parents too. Why have you confined you question to women?

• GB
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

If you live in the USA, this could apply to most jobs including traditionally feminine ones such as clerical or shop -work, considering how poor maternity leave is compared with other countries.

n most American families led by couples, both parents are in the workforce. At the same time, nearly 1 in 4 U.S. children are being raised by single moms.

Yet child care is generally unaffordable and paid leave is not available to most U.S. parents.

Around the world, however, most employed women automatically get paid maternity leave. And in most wealthy countries, they also have access to affordable child care.

These holes in the national safety net are a problem for many reasons, including one I’ve been researching with my colleagues for years: Paid parental leave and child care help women stay in the workforce and earn higher wages over time. This lack of parental leave and child care may explain why the U.S. is no longer a leader in women’s workforce participation.

Maternity leave

The U.S. is one of a handful of countries worldwide that does not mandate paid maternity leave. The other four are the low-income nations of Lesotho, Liberia, Papua New Guinea and Swaziland.

Paid leave, which typically lasts at least 14 weeks, needs to be designed thoughtfully. When women can and do take two or even three years off after having a baby, as they may in Hungary, long leaves can limit mothers’ work experience and lead to discrimination.

The 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act did mandate 12 weeks of unpaid job protected leave for some American workers. Yet most families can’t forgo the income that moms bring home.

Denmark offers what I think is a strong example. There, moms get almost 18 weeks of paid maternity leave and dads get two weeks of paid paternity leave. On top of that, couples get up to a total 32 weeks of parental leave, which parents can split. This policy grants parents both the time and resources necessary to care for children, without “mommy tracking” mothers.

Child care

In many wealthy countries, child care and preschool are considered a mainstay of the educational system. But in the U.S., only about half of all children between the ages of 3 and 6 are getting publicly supported child care of any kind, including kindergarten, versus 99 percent of kids that age in France.

Interestingly, high-quality early childhood education programs are associated with many excellent outcomes for children from lower-income families: higher graduation rates, along with lower rates of teen pregnancy and juvenile crime.

In other words, when governments invest in child care and maternity leave, it fosters a more productive, healthy and creative workforce.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You pop the kids out. Since you wanna complain. At least they are trying to do something for their kids instead of laying around living off the government

• 5 months ago

Being female means we have the ability to create life. Just because having babies is something we can do doesn't mean it's the only thing we should have to do to with our lives. There would be fewer advancements in the world if every woman who could successfully bear a child to term or had children to raise quit their job. I'm sure you would hate it if you were limited by someone else or put limits on yourself of career advancement just because you were born with ovaries.

Your question basically sounds like this: Why aren't women just happy being barefoot and pregnant?" or "Should women with children be allowed to work because I don't think so".

That is probably not how you meant it to sound and may not have been your intent but it is how it is.

Since when does people complaining about their job mean they need to switch careers? I work in the financial district in SF with the billionaire big shots (men and women) complain all the time about stress but they don't quit. If all people quit their jobs when they got stressed then I think the US economy would suffer...we might end up in Hooverville's again 0.0 Americans are overworked and stressed. These are facts.

You making this about gender and bringing feminism into it just makes things look like you are upset with a girl/woman who isn't putting you first or you lost out on something to a woman? Talk to them because you might learn something new and they might too.

A career that is more compatible with raising children or being pregnant... hmm

We could be marshmallow taste testers or start a soccer mom shuttle service!

(Women without driver's licenses who hate marshmallows are screwed.)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because they're selfish.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

"Why do women who want to have children work in fields of work that aren't compatible with raising children or taking time off?" The same reasons men who want to have children do.

Children have TWO parents who are equally responsible. How they manage the division of labor in their relationship is up to them to decide.

"They say that they have trouble dating and finding a partner because they are always traveling and hate their jobs, but they are so stubborn about being a "feminist" and "independent" that they won't switch careers" I doubt anyone has ever said that to you. I'll bet you don't personally know a single person like this. I know I don't and Ill bet I personally know a heck of a lot more feminists than you do.

• 5 months ago

cause they need to work wherever they can

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

A woman who says she wants to be an independent woman is not wife material and should be avoided.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Shut up, moron, troll.

• Will
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Because they are idiots. It cannot be phrased any other way. They are idiots and nothing else. They chose the career. If they didn't stop to think about the job's demanding work schedule and how it will incredibly limit their free time, they are simply idiots. Even I stop to think about such things before applying for truck driving jobs. "Will this job require me to be "on call" available over the weekends?"

You gave a perfect example. A pilot has no right to complain about a lack of free time or how it may make raising a child difficult. No one just randomly decides becomes a pilot. They put an enormous amount of thought into it because of the training and licenses it requires. She thought about it and became one, "so shut the **** about not being able to be there with your newborn or having a dating life, because you chose this career!"

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.