are fleet trucks usually automatic in the us?

do 18 wheeler trailers owned by companies like CR England and Swift have manual transmissions or automatic transmissions?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Best answer

A lot of trucking companies are switching their fleets over to automated transmissions because they require less maintenance than manual transmissions with clutches, but an "automatic" transmission in a semi truck is NOT like the one you have in your car. I drove a truck with an automated transmission for the last three years before I retired from driving. I HATED IT! I'll take a good ol' 13 speed manual trans any day!

Source(s): I'm a retired long haul trucker (CDL-A with HazMat, Tanker, Doubles and TWIC)
  • M.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Either.

I always drove a manual.

I never drove a heavy truck with an automatic.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Seems like most people that replied have no idea what they are talking about. I am a carrier and I can choose what type of trucks I want to use. Automatics have come a long way, so anyone bashing them heard old rumors or used old trucks. I have a 2020 automatic truck and it drives like an SUV. It's not the cheapo version, nothing is standard fully customized head Turner and it can out accelerate sedans with Detroit DD16 600 HP.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There are day delivery trucks but an automatic doesn't match up well with using 2 speed axles.

The trucks with automatics are for local drops, they are not suited for 70+ MPH OTR long haul.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

The only big trucks with automatic transmissions are city trucks. All the big trucks have manual transmissions because the driver has to anticipate if he will need the power for the road ahead.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

I believe they are manual. But i think you can shift some of the higher gears without a clutch.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

My son drives for a person who leases to the post office. He has a nice new automatic transmission in his truck.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

My son is a truck driver. He has worked for different companies and has driven both automatic and manual trucks. He prefers manual.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

MOST still manuals, but there are SOME fleets that have changed to automatics because drivers are so hard to get .................................

• Lv 5
      4 months agoReport

Really? I didn't even know that. I thought it was unsafe because of the trailer weight shifting around all the time.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

They are manual, I have never seen an automatic transmission on an 18 wheeler.

• Lv 5
      4 months agoReport

I didn't know that but it does make sense.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.