What percentage of certainty would you attribute “guilty beyond a reasonable doubt”?

12 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That standard applies to all the required elements of a crime. In most cases, there's really no doubt that a crime actually occurred. The question is whether the defendant actually did it.

Research finds about a four percent error rate for people sentenced to death, so it shouldn't be any lower for routine felonies. So I would say that beyond a reasonable doubt = 96 percent certainty.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Answering as one who's actually been convicted on circumstantial evidence (Later appealed, retried & dismissed), but only because I was able to appeal with a 'Real' lawyer instead of a burned-out Public-Pretender,,

I can definitely say with qualification that in most trials Truth, innocence, certainty & doubt reasonable or otherwise are totally Meaningless!

Typically all a half conscious jury that just want's to get it over-with & go home needs to see is an accused person shackled-up in an orange jumpsuit & they don't even need to know what he's accused of and will usually just come up with whatever verdict that a respectable looking prick in a suit tells them to so they can go back to their pathetically uninteresting lives & feel good about themselves for doing a civic duty that doesn't even require as much qualification as a high-school diploma or a frkn driver's licence.

Unless you've got Money I suggest staying out of trouble since after all,, when was the last time you saw an accused person on the news and just assumed he was innocent or as much as even Doubted he was guilty!?

When a serious crime has been committed, of course people are going to want 'justice' but if they can't get it with the "Truth, the whole-truth & nothing else" before dinner-time, mostly they'll just settle for whatever is most convenient!

Lv 7
    6 months ago

That depends on the jury.

• 6 months ago

it would probably be 100% of it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

99%...... if there is one piece of evidence of innocence ... circumstantial or otherwise.... then there is doubt

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not all possible "doubt" is considered "reasonable", under the law.

• 6 months ago

What a pointless question - no one here can accurately assess percentage probabilities, so the description "beyond a reasonable doubt" is far more useful.

• 6 months ago

About 90%, give or take.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

when theyre positive that something happened

• God
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Trials in the US are not about guilt or innocence. Thousands of people are in prison that were framed by the prosecuter and the police.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH VODKA I'VE HAD THAT DAY

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.