Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Was I wrong for declining to sell my puppy to this buyer?

I listed my puppy up craigslist for $100. Unfortunately, I am in a crisis that is forcing me to locate to another state. I had a guy come by to pick him up, but he seemed sort of out of the ordinary. He was dressed in black goth clothing, a black trench coat, didn't say much, seemed pretty reclusive. Wasn't much of a talker and just wanted to pay and leave. I didn't want to tell him that I didn't feel comfortable selling to him, so I told him that I actually made a mistake on the price and was actually higher. He then got really upset with me and wanted me to take the $100 since he was already there. I said sorry. He then got in his car and sped off. Was I wrong for turning him down? I don't really like to judge people, but he just didn't seem like a animal person.

Favorite Answer

You are perfectly entitled to accept, or deny a potential buyer. And from what you have written here, this wasn't anybody I'd have been happy to let my dog go to.

Is your 'crisis' so bad that you HAVE to rehome this puppy? In any case, it's always best to contact the breeder (most have return clauses in their Sale Contract) and hopefully they will take your puppy back, perhaps already having a new home waiting. Alternatively instead of using Craigslist, which will produce as many dodgy buyers, as people wanting to home their dogs, why not sign him over to a Shelter where, if he is a puppy still, he'll be found a good CHECKED home fast. Further, if he's 'a breed', most have Rescues with people waiting. And they too will check before placing.

No - you were right to not see the puppy to this guy.

I agree with Alison, he is a animal abuser. You did the right thing

Poor puppy.....

Yes. I sold my basset hound puppy on Craigslist for $15 to a man who has a record of abusing animals. But I trust him.

You should never be handing a dog over to any old stranger anyway.

That's why rescues and good breeders homecheck and get to know as much about the person wanting the dog in the first place.

I think this story is made up BS. Even if this was a mutt puppy backyard breeders like you would never sell them for as little as $100.

If this really happened then you're a judgemental, immature, rude jerk. This guy could actually sue you since you ADVERTISED the puppy at one rate and then jacked the rate when he was there to buy it.

If this really happened you're also a COMPLETE idiot to have let this person know where you live! Hope that puts you on edge for awhile that someone you pissed off could just show back up there.

• John

Yeah these computer freaks are complete assholes. I wonder who sold them animals to begin with since they treat them worse than your worse animal abusers then experiment on them too.

Go with your feelings. He might not have the best intent for your dog. Some people trade in dog mills for medical research. After all, you don't want to see your dog, a year later, dressed in goth and acting like the man.

You are a very selfish person, shame on you.

Why do you think that you're better than people who don't dress to your standard and are socially shy? Imagine you have social phobia, and manage to gather up the courage to go buy a dog, and they basically say "f*ck you" to you and refuse to give you the offer they were offering? Wouldn't make you feel comfortable to go out again next time, huh?

• Ashley6 months agoReport

I don’t see how they’re selfish. If they have to get a new home somewhere and they can’t take the puppy that isn’t selfish. I agree with Verulam. They have every right to say no to the buyer.

It sounds very much as though he wanted the puppy to use it in some kind of occultist sacrifice ritual. I think you did the correct thing in not selling it to him.

Does the state you're moving to not allow dogs? I actually thought all the states allowed dogs. I guess I was wrong. Either that or you're a lowlife piece of shlt who buys a dog then pisses off and abandons it.