Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 months ago

Why did the British empire fall?

I’m British but literally have no clue about my countries history because Schools hardly teach that part of history. So enlighten me. Why did we lose the empire?

40 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

The British Empire simply run out of money, two world wars had drained British national wealth added to this was the rise of nationalistic ambition for self determination of many of the countries that were part of the British Empire.

• armouror
      Lv 5
      3 months agoReport

never ran out of money we never went Home until 1972

• They got weakened by Germany, China and, Japan. Also the formation of the United Nations which reduced colonialism. Once the whole world found out Britain couldn't hold off in WW2 and Korean War, countries became bold in gaining independence

• 3 months ago

They were not strong enough

• armouror
      Lv 5
      3 months agoReport

In 1970, we still had the worlds biggest salt water Navy

• 3 months ago

The empire was not so much lost as given back to its rightful owners. As colonies became more successful and realised they did not need a paternal figurehead to make decisions on their behalf, they began to demand freedom. And along with the colonies' wish for self determination, came the realisation in Britain too that the mistreatment of people which had kept it great was not going to work indefinitely. So it's been a gradual thing over many years.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Times change.

It has been that way since time immemorial.

• 3 months ago

It did not fail if was run down over many years.

• John P
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Britain lost its empire for the same reasons that European countries with empires lost them after WW2. Too expensive to maintain compared with any financial benefits. General unrest and desire for independence in those lands. And the "spirit of the age" which said that local people should be free.

• 3 months ago

It never FAILED in 1928 the British Government wanted all of the Empire to be Dominions so in 1932 passed the act of Westminster But WW2 stopped the Implementation By 1948 the Process of making India a dominion leading to independence I was in Malaysia and Singapore when the Both got Independence I was also in Singapore when we closed down all our Bases East of Suez in 1972.

It was a Long slow Process result 99% of the empire Joined the British Commonwealth of Nations

Source(s): Served with the RAF in Singapore Malaysia and Borneo and many places in the Middle east
    • armouror
      Lv 5
      3 months agoReport

In 1932 the UK passed the Act of Westminster to make every country a dominion leading to Independence try Googling it instead of calling me a liar with thumbs down

• 3 months ago

The benefits of having colonies did not justify the expenses. Our whole global economy is different than the old colonial model. In the past a nation would have colonies not only to enrich itself from the resources but also that colony was a captive market to the mother country. This worked in the 1600s-1700s, but by late 1800s forays into Sub-saharan Africa etc brought back fewer returns. WW1 Britain was left with a mixed bag of Middle East territories that stretched its forces and budget. A lot of British private investment was being put into the USA at the time and not into its colonies. Technological change brought an end to it's dominance of the high seas. For centuries Britain had the best ships, the best crews, etc. but by 20th century that did not mean as much. By end of WW2 Britain had to contend with facing internal issues such as rebuilding. The world was also in a new economic paradigm (cold war) where there were Allies, Warsaw Pact and Non-Aligned nations, so the colonial model just did not work anymore.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Because they spread themselves too thin. Also ALL empires vanish after a time. Plus, people in that "empire" got angry at the idea (fomented by Rudyard Kipling) that they need the "white man's help" to be uplifted".

• 3 months ago

Maybe because of India? Britain had tried to colonize india.

• Sir Caustic
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

This answer *so* complements the utter vacuity of the question......

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.