Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 7 months ago

Can a volunteer Sheriff, Police, or Constable arrest you?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Anyone can arrest someone, it's called "citizens arrest" and is actually a thing.

Making a Citizen's Arrest:

If you do decide to make a citizen's arrest, you should:

Tell the suspect plainly that you are making a citizen's arrest and that you are holding him or her until police arrive.

Call the police.

Ask explicitly for his or her cooperation until police arrive.

Avoid using force, if at all possible, and use it to the minimum possible otherwise.

Do not question or search the suspect or his or her possessions. Your purpose is only to temporarily detain him or her until police arrive.

When police arrive, state the plain facts of what happened.

• Bruce
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

You left out the part about only applying to felonies in some states and being subjected to civil penalties if you are wrong. You also left out the part about some departments having policies prohibiting citizen's arrest in uniform.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

In my state, the volunteer must be in the presence of a law enforcement officer and working under his direction to make an arrest. Other states may vary.

Policy prohibits them from making citizen's arrests while in uniform.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

If they have to be in the presence of a law enforcement officer, BY DEFINITION, they are not a law enforcement officer. That means calling them a Sheriff, Police, or Constable is incorrect.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

If there’s a real cop beside them yes

• donnie
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

This depends, where I am at there are some officers who are volunteers who can make full arrests, write reports, and bring people into the jail. Others can not and are only spotters. They can make citizens arrests however but I think they are changing their policies on that.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.