Jet Soda asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

How did my fish die?

My family is on vacation and I accidentally killed the fish. I fed it the first couple days but I think I gave it too much food. The food dissolved and made the water all gross. I tried to clean it by scooping the bad water out and replacing it with fresh water. I got home from work today and it was dead. I’m not sure what I did wrong. It happened fast so I’m confused. Please help

Favorite Answer

Did you know fish will eat and eat and eat until they overeat and die? That's why you're only supposed to feed them small bits at a time. So either it was overfed or it wasn't able to survive with the water being clean, also you can't just put new water in the tank, you have to let it sit for a couple of days.

Too much food caused bacteria bloom in the water. It could have been toxic bacteria or more likely the bacteria used up all the oxygen in the water and your fish suffocated.

Most likely too much ammonia in the water from the fish waste. Be more careful next time.

• Jack H

It's nearly impossible to *starve* a fish to death, but, very easy to overfeed, the excess food is not eaten, but quickly rots and makes the water toxic to the fish, no filter system can cope with too much food, you simply poisoned the fish by putting too much food into the tank. Whenever I went on holiday, I fed a little more than normal for the week before, then locked the fish house up for the fortnight holiday not feeding them till my return. Never lost a fish that way...