Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 months ago

Should I just let comments like this go whenever my husband makes them?

Ive been married for thirteen years. My husband and Is 40 and I’m 44. We have a three year old son. I’ve always been pretty thin throughout our marriage. After I had our son I was still pretty thin even thou I put on a little weight which wasn’t even very much. Though my husband has comments about three times on how I should shed off the pounds. He’s compared my figure to this girl we know who’s 16. I felt horrible when he said this. He himself is overweight which really irritates me

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Your body goes through so many changes between the age of 16 and your now age. That comparison is unreasonable, however, think about it for yourself if you feel comfortable in your body , if you’re weight is healthy for you, don’t think too much about his judgement. While i would exercise and lose a couple pounds if necessary because he’s your husband, ain’t nobody else you trying to stay attractive for, I wouldn’t push myself too much. Don’t be too hard on yourself

• Orla C
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No, you should not. Instead, dress nicely, in flattering clothes, and go out and LET HIM SEE YOU chatting and laughing with hot young men.

If he has a problem with that - chances are he will - just look him in the eye and say 'well, now you know what it feels like'. And let him think about it for a while.

What he's doing is borderline abusive, actually. I would consider divorce.

• 4 months ago

I think it's disrespectful for him to compare you to a 16yr old. Sounds like he does not appreciate what he has. I know i would. I would love you for you ,not anything else. Why is it the idiots always get the babes, and i can't even get a date?

• 4 months ago

Okay. You have already asked this question before and at that time, the girl was 15. Enough already. Stop asking the same question over and over. Pick an answer from your last question and this question and move on.

Ignore your husband's comments about your weight. Rather than be immature and go right back at him about his horrible eating habits and his weight, begin making more nutritious meals and stop buying any junk food so you can help him reduce his size without him realizing you are putting him on a better eating routine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Find a picture of a lean 16 year-old boy and tell your husband you need him to look like that. This idea that only the female partner has to stay in shape is positively Neanderthal. But you should both be trying to get healthy. You had a child relatively late in life and you owe that kid parents who aren't hobbled with weight related preventable diseases and early deaths. Even 20 extra pounds can cause a lot of medical problems.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yea,,a slightly overweight hubby inferring the difference between the figure of a 16 year old and his 40 year old wife is more than just a little bit Dumb!,,

So,,since you've been married for as long as you have and your marriage is otherwise healthy enough, there's really no point in getting all heartbroken about it,

But it's the perfect excuse to get 'Mad' instead & just express your aggravation by gently punching him in his chubby middle-aging gut when he forgets his manners.

• 4 months ago

These are hurtful things, and you should not let them go bc chances are it will continue. Let him know how you feel and that you don't appreciate being compared to a 16 year old. If he needs to lose a few pounds as well, maybe you both should get a membership at a gym and workout together. You can be there and motivate the other, not tear the other down. Hopefully everything works out okay.

• 4 months ago

If your husband is over weight, just ask him how he lost all that weight. That should shut him up.. Tell him that you are losing weight just as he is.

• 4 months ago

No you aren't horrible. He's horrible. What's he doing leering at the figures of 16 year old girls anyway? He either loves you or he doesn't. Nagging you to be the shape HE wants you to be will end in divorce, I promise you. The only way anyone ever lost weight was when THEY wanted it, not a 3rd party, not even a husband. It's normally when a man starts to worry about his own position in life (ie. he becomes middle aged) that these things start to emerge in a marriage. What he really wants is to prove is that he can pull a shapely teen girl to prove he's still young and virile. He's not. He's middle aged and getting older. He needs to accept that.

• 4 months ago

"I will when you do".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.