Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Is this even legal?

I was fired in a massive work group chat. I messaged the group to apologize because I had a bad day. Influenced by unexpected personal issues that had arisen the day before. After apologizing every single person in the group chat sent me a paragraph attacking me and then the owner fired me in front of the entire staff through a text of the group chat.

Yes, that is legal.

Yes LYING on Yahoo Answers is legal.

Your claim that 'every single person in the group' even knows you exist is patently absurd.

That said, publicly firing you for your public actions is entirely legal.

• .

Yes, legal. Did you actually think your employer doesn't monitor the "massive work group" chat?

Yep, sure is. There are no laws on how you can be terminated. You were the example to the others on what not to do

It's OK, the owner probably just had a bad day, influenced by unexpected personal issues that had arisen the day before.

• Bruce

Using work equipment for unprofessional reasons is generally grounds for dismissal. Sending personal chats during working hours is too. So is creating a hostile work environment for sending a negative chat to co-workers.

How they fire you is not covered by law. If you are asking if they can fire you with a text, the answer is yes.

Is it illegal to be highly unprofessional by bringing your personal issues to work and burdening EVERYONE with them? It's not against the law, no. But it's certainly something that you can be legally terminated from your employment over.

Choose your words wisely in the future.

Yes. Time to find a new job.

• helene

Yeah, that's legal.

You must have really been mean to people.