Why has the GOP changed its identity so drastically in the last 5 years?

I always knew conservatives were susceptible to "group think," but I never realized the problem was this bad. In the course of just a few years conservatives have abandoned traditional principles of free trade, small government and fiscal restraint. Instead, we now have tariff wars, regulation of pregnancy, and massive deficit spending.

And Trump doesn't even have Obama's excuse of an economic recession. In fact, Trump has spent more than Obama during the comparable periods of the presidency, and it's happening during a time of economic growth.

• y

Obama stated that the trade agreements were bad and needed to be addressed. Hillary ran on they were bad and she would do something about it if elected. Trump is finally doing something about them, and the left is aiding the other side with their rhetoric. If China did not know that if Trump loses the election, they win. They more then likely would have dealt by now. They are after all, hurting them a hell of lot more then they are hurting us.

As far as size of government, you're right. Both sides see the cash cow and will use any excuse to expand it. For control, power and money, no difference. You are also right about the spending, may be on/in different areas but this trend is on both sides and goes back decades. Neither side will agree on cuts, but I go back to 2014. When the right proposed legislation that removed all dedications for large corporations in exchange for a straight up tax rate. Would have generated billions. But it was the left that refused to sign on, they want this industry or that one exempt. The ones that typically give to the left. Proves that both sides are the same in this area also, it was safety nets, it wasn't working people, the standard excuse. Anyone that believes either is different in the area of spending, are fooling themselves.

GOP members are susceptible to "group think"?

Have you looked at the Democrat/liberals members of society lately?

1. Let's make up some hogwash that solar and wind farms are great. All the little sheep will follow along. But we KNOW that these massive corporation operations are HORRID for the ecosystem and we are just creating devastation for our grandchildren.

2. Ban guns, ban guns, take all the guns away from the people. When we know that about 25% of liberals are legal gun owners. And liberal minorities are much more likely to be illegal gun owners.

3. The government shouldn't be involved in the "woman's rights to her own body". Yet, EVERY state has abortion laws, which means EVERY state is involved in the "woman's right to her own body". Liberals follow along making themselves "look" stupid when the concept really is "the government should not be involved in the woman's right to her own body unless it is a policy we agree with".

Do you want me to go on?

I didn't contradict that conservatives also do group think. Part of group think is part of being a political party members. It's the concept that you are "blinded" by your own group think that you don't see it in the other party. that's hilarious.

• Robert

The GOP does suck. But when you consider the socialist leanings of the other team it only makes sense to go with a team that keeps some personal freedom alive. I'll still take the republican platform over the "everyone must share the same level of misery" offered for years by the other team. The China tariffs are designed to correct the cheating that the corrupt Chinese have been doing for decades. In the long run it will be good for the US. I can agree that people's personal decisions should be their own. I believe that the tax rates generate more than enough money, but I feel we waste it through a million unneeded social programs. I believe that investment in the economy is a good thing and over time will be successful. The dependency of the nation offered by the other side is a bad thing by my way of thinking. I believe that government should provide military and roads and the rest should be up to hard working citizens to take care of. If you can't afford college, learn a trade. Do you know how much money a good plumber can make? I don't care that you can't reach your dreams because life is unfair. Life IS unfair. Make the best you can and stop depending on everyone else to pay your way. I think the GOP feels similarly and I therefore agree with them more often than the other guys*

*If in your mind you just thought that using a male pronoun is insensitive you are probably on the left and waste a lot of time on stupid things that don't matter in the grand scheme. That's another reason I like the right side better.

I wouldn't say that they changed. It is hard to follow the path when you have people that are so victimized and so called oppress. That anything you do or say is racist, sexist, homophobic, Russian.

You have a president that is following laws form Clinton and Obama, but some how he is the one that is keeping kids in cages. - Which is another lie from the left.

Did Trump send more, or was it the Democrat spending on all of the times they are trying to impeach him, or investigate the Russian Collusion

The only thing I can say for you I feel sorry for you and how you think.

Obama blew $10T on stuff like Solyndra and cash for clunkers. The Japanese loved cash for clunkers. Killing babies is regulating pregnancies, you idiot. You're the one who supports genocide of innocent life.

You need to plug back into your Borg alcove. You need to regenerate before you completely lose it

Abandoned free trade - lie

Abandoned small government - lie

Abandoned fiscal restraint - lie

You're batting 1.000.