Can I eat my leftover rice cold?

I’m on a road trip and I have packed some leftover white rice in our cooler for my lunch. I’m not able to reheat it so I’m planning on Just eating it cold, I heard rice can give people food poisoning if it’s not eaten properly so I’m wondering if eating leftover cooked rice without heating it first could make me sick? 10 more hours of driving tomorrow and I don’t want to risk it.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

"CAN" I eat my leftover rice cold ?

a person CAN if they desire to one did say "MY" rice

as to a more specific question does "COLD" rice have the potential to acquire HARMFUL bacteria that might cause FOOD POISONING such as SALMONELLA

SALMONELLA requires a temperature between 43 to 115 degrees to Thrive ... so if ones "COLD " is below 43 degrees it is considered safe .... salmonella is more related to meat and dairy .

.. where as E COLI thrives in foods at a temp of 37 to 113 degrees and is usually a human induced contamination

due to POOR HAND WASHING and human or animal evacuation ( FECES ) likes the HUMAN body temp of 98.6 can double ( reproduce ) every 20 minutes

HOW about take a BREAK after 5 hours to stretch your legs possibly use the bathroom and eat at a restaurant or drive thru

you would probably have to STOP the car anyway if one was going to eat the white rice and then wont need to pack a cooler

• Joe
      Lv 5
      3 months agoReport

Why do you use caps so much ??

• 3 months ago

There's no problem if you keep it below 40° or over 165°. The interval between temperatures are conducive to bacterial growth.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

danger zone is 40-140

• GFH
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Yes, it is okay to eat leftover rice cold

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

I've eaten cold rice mixed with added chopped tomato, cucumber, red onion, with a lemon / vinegarette dressing for a savory rice salad.

Leftover cold rice pudding, I love it! In fact I prefer 'cold' rice pudding.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

YES!!! Cold cooked rice served with Rice Pudding -- https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-k...

• 3 months ago

As long as it has remained cool/cold the rice is fine.

If you want it as more of a dessert add some sugar, a bit of milk for a take on rice pudding. Won't be the same without the eggs but it will do.

• 3 months ago

It's fine. How do you think they serve sushi?

• 3 months ago

Total myth. Rice is about as healthful as any food can get. I often eat left over white rice with milk and brown sugar or maple syrup as cereal for breakfast. Haven't died yet...I'm 83 yo.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

if youre not sure i wouldnt eat it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.