Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 6 months ago

Does breast milk make kids bigger/taller?

So we have two boys, one was born in 2014, one born a month ago July 2019. Our first born boy was fed breast milk only for 1 week, before going to straight formula. My wife was really stressed out back then and couldn’t produce enough milk. Now, our second born son has been breast fed for this whole month and she plans on breast feeding him for atleast 6 months. My question is will there be any height differences in our 2 sons due to breast milk vs formula? I’m worried our younger son will be way taller and larger that first born due to him having breast longer. I hear breast milk has growth hormones. What are y’alls thoughts? Does breast vs formula only affect allergies and immune and not height??

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Babies make their own growth hormones from their intake of food. Whether a baby is EBF or FF/combo fed can make a difference in their *rate* of growth their first year, but by the end of that first year there's not really a significant difference. If there is any disparity in height between your sons when they're older, it will primarily be due to genetics.

No. That's genetics. I have five kids, three of which are fully grown boys (or at least mostly grown in the 16-year-old's case), all breastfed for at least 2 years, vary in height from 5'6" to 6'1".

No, it does not make a difference in adult height.

So - that would imply that everyone should be the same height. All people who get formula should be the same height and all people who get breast milk should be the same height but taller. Think about that.

People grow to different heights based on GENETICS not based on if the mother breast fed or formula fed the baby.

No it doesn't. Even if it does, what's it matter? You're going to what, stop your wife from breast feeding?

it might do that

Emmm nope, I don't think so