Why does air pollution seem to be cleaner around a body of water? Please read details below.?

I have seen so far in California and in Delaware that air pollution seem to be cleaner around the areas closest to a body of water. Why is that?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Because air pollution is caused by human activity, such as factories, power plants and automobiles. There is very little of these kinds of activity happening on the sea, since there are no roads or factories on the sea. When wind blows from the Pacific Ocean towards land, the clean air will replace the dirty air that is created on land by cars and factories. If there is a high pressure system blocking the wind from the sea, then the polluted air stays around instead of being blown to another part of the country. Air from the ocean is alos cooler than the air on land since land can heat up quickly and at night the heat will escape from the rocks and other objects to heat the air up. Water takes a lot of heat to warm up and it does not release heat as quickly either. So, land near large bodies of water tends to be cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You've never been to Atlantic City, NJ, have you? I sailed past it one time and saw the yellow air well before seeing any other sign of the city.

• 6 months ago

not much pollutant emission happening out over the water. The degradation of air over the water has to come from on shore. Humidity can play a role in cleansing air, and water bodies tend to cause modifications to air flow (on-shore breezes when land is warmer than water) so the air over water comes from up high, not from the side. But that requires a pretty good-sized water body to really be noticeable.

• 6 months ago

Because my thyroid medicine has been hurting

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.