How do you stop tenants from disconnecting smoke detectors?

I wrote the other day about a previous property manager charging me for smoke detectors & installation. When I viewed both sides of the duplex they are not in there. I wrote to the property management co telling them I will turn this into the Dept of Real Estate if they don't refund my money back for what... show more I wrote the other day about a previous property manager charging me for smoke detectors & installation. When I viewed both sides of the duplex they are not in there. I wrote to the property management co telling them I will turn this into the Dept of Real Estate if they don't refund my money back for what they took from my rents to pay this bogus bill.
I just received an email from the property manager saying the tenants didn't want the smoke detectors because they kept going off. Does a management company just let tenants decide this? I don't know if smoke detectors were ever in installed with the tenants who didn't want them. I know they were never installed on the other side positively.
This is how this management company is going to try to get out of refunding my money. If they put them in with the tenants that didn't want them, why wouldn't they put them in both sides of the duplex? If the tenants didn't want them, why didn't management contact me telling me this, and why didn't they tell the tenants that's too bad because by law they have to have them? This should be grounds for eviction in my opinion. Tenants cannot decide this!! I would imagine lots of tenants don't care & disconnect them. You can't stay there babysitting them, so how do you control this? So now management will claim they installed the smoke detectors & the tenants took them down.
Update: Property management was told to wire them in. They never installed them at all. Please answer my question about if smoke detectors should be installed on both sides of a duplex. I would logically say yes, what do you think? I know they aren't on the other side. Don't think they were ever on the other side... show more Property management was told to wire them in. They never installed them at all. Please answer my question about if smoke detectors should be installed on both sides of a duplex. I would logically say yes, what do you think? I know they aren't on the other side. Don't think they were ever on the other side either. Management co. is trying to think up excuses.