S A asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 5 months ago

I live in a duplex and I can smell the laundry detergent from my neighbor when they do laundry. Should this be happening?

I am guessing you are smelling the fabric softener during the drying cycle--usually it is vented to the outside--do you see a vent somewhere near your windows outside? if not--then I'd be suspicious where the vent goes? in between walls (that could cause mold growth and is a potential fire hazard if there is no way to clean it out)....through the heating vents??

Better than cigarette smoke or Meth fumes. Likely that you are downwind from their dryer vent, or they have none. Ask you Landlord.

Some laundry detergents are very strong and duplex’s have common walls. So, yes, this is likely to happen.

In an ideal world, maybe not, but of all the things that neighbours do which might distress or annoy you, this is extremely minor. There are probably tiny gaps in the structure of the building through which the smell is creeping or it's transferring through open windows.

I had to spray expanding foam spray for the gaps in the walls that the plumbing came through to stop cigarette smoke from coming into my apartment. I had to throw quite a fit to get the AC guys to check all the ducts in the attic to find one was broken and sucking in air from outside. The outdoor grill would send gas fumes and smoke into my attic (because of the vent attics tend to have, the wind would bring it all into my attic), and because of the broken duct, the fumes and smoke would end up in my apartment, but it was such a minuscule amount, they didn't want to check it.