Want a NAS file server with RAID-1. But want my Windows PC to read the hard drive as well.?

With these NAS enclosures, if I configure RAID-1, I can't just take the drive out of the device and read it from my Windows and I must read through this device because of the RAID interface. I don't like that. I want RAID-1 and I also want to be able to take the drives out whenever and read through my Windows PC. I also don't want to be running a full PC dedicated to the file server. What are my options? Any creative ideas?

RAID 1 is just mirrored disks, thus any issue you have with moving drives is NOT related to RAID. It is only related to HOW the box reads/writes the disk. if you swap the disks in/aout and DATA is unrecognisable then its either a) a DATA twist or b) an interface width(16 bit/32 bit) issue. Typically modern bios does a Disk AUTO_DETECT and that includes Untwisting data so if a disk is from an old pc that twisted the data, then a modern pc just untwists it automatically. it does that very simply by looking at sector zero for Partitions basically. so a NAS would be OLD SCHOOL ie some old linux box and may employ just a normal FAT32 disk but a modern pc may be employing BIG sectors and UEFI etc. so when switching out from a NAS you may need to disconnect existing drives, and perhaps boot a CD such a hiren's to miniXP to be able to let the BIOS switch back to OLD modes and SEE the old disk. Otherwise the NAS would need to be fully UEFI capable and be able to auto detect whatever the pc disks would normally be. Thus you are expecting the way a disk structure is configured to be automatically sorted by both boxes and they probably wont do that. You may also not realise windows will treat any unrecognised disk space as FREE for NEW partitions so its a risky thing to do in the first place.

• Adrian

Not likely to happen, as formatting a Raid set has different "formatting" on it to start with based on what controller does the formatting. That is, you "may" be able to read a member disk from a Raid1 set if the controller used for the Raid and on your PC is the same type (same controller)

You may also have to change the controller SATA mode from "standard" to AHCI or back, depending on what mode the Raid set was created with.

Finally, some Raid controllers, like Marvel write proprietary partition information for a Raid set, which is not understood by regular Windows PCs.