Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 5 months ago

When choosing a room air conditioner, is it better to buy spare capacity?

Would a 6,000 do a better cooling job although the running current would be a little higher than a 5,000? Like a six cylinder engine and a four. The work load is the same. But the 6,000 would have spare capacity.

Update:

Present a/c is 5,000 and adequate especially when new. Room is 13.5 x 13.5.

Update 2:

I think most of this advise applies more to larger sizes like 10k more more for a 9 x 12 room. I doubt a 6 ove a 5 would work that way. It gives it duty off time. (Everyone deserves a lil R n R, right?)

But I think I will go with the 5k on the basis that the old one (5k) would well although not without its challenges, but a brand new one should take command of the situation. I know (you see) what an a/c should feel like. I have felt them.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

factor that add to the AC load often overlooked,,badly or uncaulked windows, window sashes w crumbled putty of sealant, in a house where the unit is on floor 2,,the attic or crawl space above ought to be vented

so heat rises & then goes out through vents.

the unit should be on the shade side of the living space,pitched a couple degrees to the outside.,used acs are great if they test for cool air remaining on,and react properly to the thermostat and fan speed control,,50 year old units can be had for a song,clean them up,use dried out lysol handiwipes to cut to fit the room filter,then use ducktape to fix them in place

• 5 months ago

yes so it will keep you cool on those really hot days

• 5 months ago

It ain't rocket science. If your AC is too small your room will be hot. If it is too big your room will be cool. If you're only buy one, which one should it be?

If you want numbers? A 6000 BTU will cost about $30 to $40 more than a 5000 BTU. A 6000 BTU will cost you less than $20 a year in extra electricity. An AC will last 5 years. So 5 years X $20 = $100. Add in the extra $40 for the bigger unit. $100 +$40 = $140. Divided by 5 years means it will cost you less than $30 a year to have a clean room.

My rule is always buy the biggest, best, strongest, most expensive item. That you can afford.

• y
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Too large can lead to short cycling reducing the lifespan of the unit.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The general rule of thumb is that an oversize A/C will cycle on and off more often. This is tough on the compressor motor, and may well shorten its life as compared to a correctly-sized unit, running for longer stretches.

You may also find that an oversized unit doesn't run often enough to do a good job of dehumidification.

• 5 months ago

spare capacity is good. suppose that temperatures are higher than normal three summers from now ... and the 5,000 just isn't enough

• 5 months ago

Get the larger unit.

• 5 months ago

It is better to calculate the expected outside temperature and room condition vs. the sq. footage claimed. A 5000 Btu unit will not cool an 8x12 room with a skylight and vaulted ceiling with an outside temp of 90 degrees, and it will run full time. Buying the larger unit will save money in compressor run time. An over-sized unit is always better as the cost to run the fan vs. the compressor is substantially less.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.