Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Will Chiari Malformation get me discharged from the Navy?

I have been diagnosed with Chiari Malformation type I. I have been in the Navy for four years. I am unsure if this will get me removed from military service. Wondering if anyone has any answers for me. I haven’t gotten any information from Navy Med yet but I’ve read that a Chiari diagnosis is a permanent DQ from service. I do have symptoms. Nothing severe but rather annoying on a daily basis.

• Jason
    Favorite Answer

I'm afraid that is a DQ for service. In fact, it is a DQ for initial enlistment -- the MEPS never should have cleared you (though if it hadn't been diagnosed previously they couldn't have known).

• Matthew6 months agoReport

Yeah I just found out after getting an MRI after having a migraine that lasted a week.

Too many factors. It will depend on if it affects you doing your job, what treatment is needed and what the Med Board says. If you are up for or on Shore Duty or even Sea Duty has you on Shore and it is treatable then they can keep you in.

Four years? and you are worried now?

let the CMO work it out. Take you reup bonus and keep going.