Brian asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

What are the chances of seeing combat in the air force?

I’m planning on joining the Air Force as aircraft maintenance. I know that being in the military in general you have to be willing to fight so no need to type it again below. I just know that airmen don’t really get as much trigger time as the marines or army. I just want to know the chances or percentages of seeing combat in the Air Force. It would really help to hear from someone who served around 90’s or current. Since knowing that everyone during the Vietnam era had to fight and the fact the military was a little different back than, but I’ll like older veterans’ responses too

Unless you are aircrew about zero.

Spanner Jockeys DO NOT SEE COMBAT PERIOD!

• Daniel

Probably kind of low, but do you think I envisioned being in OIF and OEF when I joined in the 90s?

Odds are that even if you deploy, you are just going to have to worry about rocket attacks or an insider threat. However, you could always end up advising Afghan, Iraqi, or some other country's maintainers, on a minimally secured host nation base, convoying between FOBs.

• Bill-M

As a aircraft maintenance tech, your chances of seeing combat are almost zero.

"I’m planning on joining the Air Force"

You're not a brother are you?

Unless you are a pilot, etc or your base is right up close to the front, you have about zero chance of seeing combat. As an example, during Desert Storm the base where the F117 was stationed was on the opposite side of Saudi Arabia near the Red Sea. Obviously for any of the maintenance crew to see combat there would mean that Saddam had pushed all the way across the country. You might be closer if you worked on the A10, which is a close in air support plane.

everyone during vietnam had to fight ? on what planet did that happen?

if your in air craft maintenance, you will never fight, your in the rear with the gear

the only way you might have to fight, is if you get deployed to do convoy duty for the army or marines

Other than the U.S. Coast Guard there is not much chance of "seeing" combat in any of the Services.

The reason the U.S.C.G. does is they ARE LOOKING for it.

As part of Homeland Security Agency the U.S.C.G are out there sticking their noses where they don't belong. Like, International Waters. Stopping ships merely because they are headed in a specific direction, with no probable Cause. (People looking for trouble often find it.)

It's not about the branch, but the job. If you were to go in as a PJ, TACP, or CCT, then the chance of you encountering a combat situation would be higher. But as an aircraft maintainer, then your chance of getting involved in a combat situation would be extremely low to none.

Very low.none of the US's enemies have an airforce or anti air defences .