Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 6 months ago

Is the Yellowstone volcano going to erupt?

my sister is moving to canada because she said the volcano is going to erupt in a week or two

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Your sister will have to move to northern Yukon.

And no, there are no forecasts for volcanic eruptions in the Rocky Mountains in the near future.

• 6 months ago

Yellowstone is erupting all the time, every time a geyser goes off. Yellowstone is NOT overdue for a super eruption.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It is unlikely to erupt within our lifetimes. There will be warnings ahead of time like many quakes above magnitude 5.0, lots of gas release, and ground deformation. Yellowstone is arguably the most highly monitored volcanic region on Earth. If there is an eruption, it may not be a large one either.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Will the Yellowstone volcano erupt? Yes, it's very probable that it will have another eruption at some point.

Will the Yellowstone volcano erupt soon? Highly unlikely. Scientist monitor the area constantly, and there simply aren't any signs of an imminent eruption anytime in the immediate future.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Retief
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

So your sister is a volcanologist studying Yellowstone, is she...?

The scientists that live in Yellowstone and study it every day have stated they don't have any evidence it is going to erupt within the next few months.

So either your sister knows something none of the scientists know, or she is getting her science facts from some nutjob.

• 6 months ago

I do not think this is going to happen. It would be a real surprise.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It seems to me a rather stupid thing to do. Moving is extremely stressful not to mention expensive. It must be on another level when moving from one country to another. And, to do it for this reason is incredibly stupid.

Yes, at some point in the future Yellowstone is going to erupt. It may have happened between the time I write this answer and it is read. It may not happen until everyone alive today is long dead and forgotten. Yes, it will erupt. When? Nobody knows.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.