Matt asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 6 months ago

Why is Disney rebooting all the movies they now own after buying Fox?

Everything from Alien to Predator and Home Alone to Die Hard is getting rebooted now that Disney owns Fox. Why can't they just leave these movies alone instead of trying to ruin them by making them woke like they did with Marvel and Star Wars?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

To make money. Disney is now just a cash generator. A new Disney film used to be an event. These days it's meaningless.

• 6 months ago

Well, that would be for money. That is why movies are made - to make money.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Home Alone is a franchise that should've stopped right at Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) the moment the producers were unable to get a teenage version of Macaulay Culkin as Kevin for Home Alone 3, so they had to revolve the third one around a little known boy named Alex Pruitt who is not on Kevin's level in terms of star power.

Plus, instead of dealing with Marv Murchins (by Daniel Stern) and Harry Lyme (Joe Pesci), we're now dealing with Peter Beaupre, Alice Ribbons, Earl Unger and Burton Jernigan as the four spy criminals from a Hong Kong terrorist organization set on wanting some expensive microchip for their own nefarious gains in Home Alone 3 (1997).

And while Home Alone 4 did go back to the McCallister family, it wasn't the same. It felt like Michael Weinberg was too obnoxious to be like Kevin, and it was supposed to be Marv's time to shine, only it's not the Daniel Stern version of Marv we've been accustomed to in the first two Home Alone films (we get the skinnier, shorter and cuckier version of Marv), he also has a wife Vera instead of his tag team partner Harry, and so it really looked nothing like the McCallister family like in HA1 and HA2, while Home Alone 4 bombed and thus is considered to be the worst Home Alone movie ever, along with the 2012 Home Alone movie with the Baxter family.

So no, I don't think Disney should've taken the rights to Home Alone. In fact, Home Alone should've been buried after HA2: Lost in New York, just like how Killer Instinct should've ended at Killer Instinct 2 (1996).

• Ryan6 months agoReport

How did Home Alone 4 bomb when it was made for TV and not even shown in theaters?

• 6 months ago

To make more money. They ran out of ideas, and recycling old movies is easier than actually trying to be creative.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

There were some flops over the years, but I agree many of these are classics. A couple of reboots I actually kinda look forward to though are Fantastic 4, Percy Jackson, and Eragon

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Why else but to earn a profit? They paid for the rights of the movies and now they want to earn from the property. That's just realistic. I enjoy their new movies. I think people make too big a deal out of them having women and minorities in them. So what?

• ...Show all comments
    • Matt6 months agoReport

If they want more female or minority characters, they should make new ones, not change established characters. You wouldn't ever see them changing established female or minority characters into male or white characters so the opposite should also be true.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Disney purchased Fox and Lucasfilm to make cash. Reboots, prequels and sequels will put bums on seats at the cinemas/theatres. The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise being a perfect example.I believe they are even on about rebooting this with a new Jack Sparrow.

Update: I'm not a big fan of remakes, prequels, bleeding franchises dry and Disney's output in general but you have to admit they sure know how to make money from movies.

• ...Show all comments
    • Matt6 months agoReport

Captain Marvel did so well because it came out right before Endgame and all the marketing made it seem like she was going to be a major player in it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.