Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

What should I have done. I was in a Pizza shop I was walking twords the bathroom. When I was 36 inches away from the door a lady?

10 feet away - aprox age 30 suddenly runs twords the bathroom goes in & shuts the door.

I'm a guy if it would have been another guy I would have yelled & pushed my way in ahead of him.

But I couldn't think of how to respond to a lady. So I did nothing. (there was only 1 bathroom in this pizza shop)

If someone is in such a hurry that they actually push their way in front of someone who was already practically at the door, I would assume they were desperate, and would do nothing except hope she comes out soon.

I might call through the door, 'Are you all right in there?' to make it clear than I did notice ...

Sounds like she was having an emergency. But she should have told you do. There's really not much you can do in that situation.

if that happened to me i would assume the food she ate was bad and got the **** on up out of there

• edward

How did she beat you when you were 7 feet ahead of her, pressuming you were walking at a normal pace it should’ve only taken you 0.3 seconds to go that distance. Since the average person can walk at a speed of 3 m/s and 3 feet is almost 1 meter it shouldn’t have taken you more than half a second to reach the door

not much you could do but tell her i was here first

Sometimes the need to use the toilet comes on very suddenly. It could have been the need to pee, a bout of diarrhea, or even a sudden upset stomach requiring vomiting.

I hope you were not in great distress yourself, and were able to wait until she came out again. You did right, not to make an issue of it.

if she were running I would assume she was in dire straits and not say anything--but think sympathetic thoughts while I waited--If I was also in dire straits I would have yelled--but I am a gal-not a guy..so it would be more socially acceptable.

If a woman at the pizza shop needs to get to the bathroom that quickly, I would eat elsewhere.

I cannot imagine any circumstances why anyone would want to have a bath in a pizza shop, let alone two people at the same time. I can't imagine why a pizza shop would even provide bathrooms. You must have some strange pizza shops where you live.

• Edna

In the US in a public place, "bath room" means the same thing as "rest room".

• not

There is no response. You can't teach respect or courtesy in one interaction. All you can do is be a better person and be a better parent. You live in the age of entitlement; You won't convince this lady she is wrong.

• not

Yes what if the all the people running stop signs, cutting others off, passing on the shoulder just really really had something important to do. The lady comes out of bathroom and begs for forgiveness is the what if.