Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 months ago

So my story is set in 1984 will take place in New York City on the eve of Antipornography civil rights ordinance?

other than that how should I write the story I'm thinking a spy

• Marli

I'm not a New Yorker, but I was an adult in 1984 and I don't remember a news item about an "Antipornography Civil Rights Ordinance". I don't think there was such an ordinance. Anti-Pornography is something against pornography and Civil Rights is civil rights. What do you mean by this ordinance: that it is the right of a citizen not to be exposed to pornography (say in advertisements or via someone watching it on the adjoining computer terminal in the New York Public Library.); or that it is the right of the citizen to watch or read pornography where he or she likes, including in the New York Public Library, Central Park or beneath the Statue of Liberty? Think of what you mean, since you will need to explain it to the reader through the story.

What is your main character's goal or mission? What is supposed to do? Who or what is holding him back and why? How does the main character overcome the obstacles and achieve his (or her) objective? Does the main character succeed or fail? What happens if it's failure?

*** Update: So there is such an Ordinance. It looks more like a legal battle in the courts than an espionage thriller. I couldn't think of a storyline; but you must've thought of something or you would not be considering a story based on the Ordinance.

Source(s): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipornography_Civi... I typed "Antipornography Civil Rights Ordinance" into the "Google" search box. Quite a number or sites about it, and about Andrea Dworkin and Catherine McKinnon
  • Tina

Are you saying you intend to set your story in an alternate 1984 when the Antipornography Civil Rights Ordinance was made legal - but this is all you have of it? no plot, or character? I think you may have started it the wrong way round.

• Andrew

I would advise writing it by stringing words into sentences and sentences into paragraphs and so on. The wide majority of stories I've read were created in that fashion, so I know it's a formula that works. However, if the wording of this question is representative of your compositional skills, I'd strongly advise you to take up finger-painting instead.

If you are going to construct a story about a dystopian society you need to set it in the near (or far) future since it did not happen. The book "1984" was set in the distant future when it was written.

Here's the thing about writing: YOU have to do it. If you have no ideas for the story and for the characters in it, then you'd be better off playing video games.

• coverdaler

Andre, it is true to an extent, but everyone has blanks. Discouraging people from writing is never good. There would be more use in saying it like so: "If you have no ideas, just write freehand and they will come to you."