Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 10 months ago

If I open up a second checking account do I have to get a new debit card?

I have a joint account but with someone but I want to open a second account to store the money I earn form work. I’ve never done this before and want to know if I’m going to have to get a second debit card. And if the person who is on my joint account will be informed about my new account.

Yes, you need a new debit card for the new account. {You might want to remove all of YOUR money from the first account.} No, the other person will not know about account #2.

• Bill

You don't have to get a debit card but it's a convenient way to access the a ccount. If you're an adult the bank doesn't have to tell anyone else about your new account except the government.

One account is unrelated to another account. Your old card is only connected to the other acct

• DEBS

A new account means a new cards to access it. You don't have to use them, but your existing cards will not be attached to the new account in any manner. If you open this 100% in your name, then the other person would not be able to see or know it exists.

Your smartest move is to go to a different bank or credit union though if you really want to keep it secret. It's too easy for the bank to be talking about your joint account and accidentally make a comment about the other one. No, they shouldn't. No, it may never happen. But it's a possibility and one you have to decide the risk on.

Yes. Joint owner has no info on your other accounts. (edited I was unclear at first)