Is good pay the only reason to stay at a job you hate?

I have been a 911 dispatcher for about 3 months now and although the pay is great, I really hate the job and everything about it. This was something that just fell into my lap and I jumped on the opportunity because of the pay and thinking that I would like it because I love helping people. I have had several panic... show more I have been a 911 dispatcher for about 3 months now and although the pay is great, I really hate the job and everything about it. This was something that just fell into my lap and I jumped on the opportunity because of the pay and thinking that I would like it because I love helping people. I have had several panic attacks thinking about work and everyday I dread going to work. The other night I had to ask my supervisor if I could leave because I just could not handle being there for another second. She allowed me to go home and told me to think about what I wanted to to do before I decided to quit. I have thought long and hard about whether I am making a big mistake by wanting to leave because jobs are very hard to come by, but even the money that I am making is not enough to motivate me to want to stay. I knew that it would be a difficult job and I was willing to learn as much as I could, but this is just not the job for me. I know that I have bills to pay, so I’m not going to just up and quit. I’m afraid I won’t be able to find another job soon and that I will be stuck in the position that I am in. Is good pay worth staying at a job that you hate? What should I do?
5 answers 5