What GPA did you have in highschool to get accepted to the college/university you attend/attended?

Do you really NEED the required GPA of that college/university? Can you get into a university or college with a pretty low gpa?

GPA doesnt carry that much weight because not all high schools use the same scoring system so it is hard to compare. In general it is good to be in the top ten percent of the senior class. Ivy league colleges are going to want higher grade point than community college. There is nothing wrong with community college as long as the courses you take will transfer to the four year college of your choice. do your homework and check with the 4 year college. And it is certainly cheaper. If you get two years at the community college and all the credits transfer then you enter 4 year college as a junior. If you think that communiity college is a lesser school the 4 year you are not correct. Go to college because you want the diploma and knowledge and skill----not to impress your friends or because you want a high paying job. College is no guarantee that you will get a job at all.

The essay and the scores on the ACT and SAT carry more weight. The essay shows how well you express yourself in composition and how good are your grammar skills and vocabulary.

• Lili

I had a 3.87 (unweighted). It got me into Yale, but only partly.

I also had an interesting background, had spent 3 and 1/2 years at a very academically-challenging prep school as a financial aid student, and was president of one club and an officer in a couple of others. I'd won a writing prize -- not first prize but still a prize -- in an annual writing contest in a national magazine.

And I was taking 4 AP classes in my senior year. At my school, only seniors were allowed to take APs, and they hadn't been dumbed down the way they way they been in recent years.

Finally, I had an excellent SAT score, one that got me National Merit semi-finalist status. It stood out, because that year, at my school, the SAT scores of other students weren't as good as they'd been in previous years.

In the U.S., most universities look at unweighted GPA and SAT/ACT score. Almost all universities accept some students who may have a slightly lower GPA than the "average for admitted students." The key is that any student with a lower GPA is at a disadvantage. All schools want to admit students who will succeed. They use GPA and test scores to guess whether the student has the academic ability to pass college-level courses at that university.

You can use a website like Niche to see the SAT/ACT and GPA of students that were admitted to most U.S. universities. This gives you a good idea of whether or not you've got a decent chance of admission at any particular school.

• drip

In what country? In the USA chances of getting into a university with less than a 2.5 is pretty slim.

https://www.collegesimply.com/guides/2.4-gpa-colle...

Although many universities have the requirements to apply of a 2.0, that doesn’t mean you would be accepted with a 2.0 gpa.

Honestly with a GPA of less than 2.5, you are going to have a hard time with college level classes.

Community colleges will accept any student who has graduated high school or has a GED. A good way to start if you have a low gpa.

Make sure to apply only to non-for- profit universities.

Some for-profit colleges will accept anyone who can pay

There are many ways that collegiate institutions evaluate prospective students for admission, and the review of an applicant's high school GPA is one of those considerations for practically every college or university. However, several other factors play a key role in the equation for whether to admit an applicant or not.

Common College Application Requirements

Every individual post-secondary institution has guidelines for whom to admit into matriculation as an incoming freshman student. In every case, prospective students will complete an application to give the school information about previous academic experience and achievement, personal characteristics and goals, and other qualifications for starting a collegiate career.

For the majority of applicants, collegiate institutions will require transcripts showing a high school diploma or proof of successful completion of the GED, an entrance essay, ACT or SAT scores, and letters of reference. Additional requirements could also include TOEFL scores and a resume or curriculum vitae.

College G.P.A. Requirements

High school GPA requirements for an incoming freshman applicant are different depending on which institution is evaluating an application. For many Ivy League, Big Ten, and state universities, for instance, the majority of incoming freshman students have a high school GPA of 3.75 or higher and require a minimum of a 3.0 average. These types of universities, generally, require an applicant to have graduated in the top quarter of his or her class.

Smaller universities are likely to view a 3.0 average as the baseline for first-round applicant choices, with students who have grade point averages between a 2.5 or higher also being likely to gain acceptance. Other universities might only require a 2.0, and that is also typically the standard for most colleges.

Many community colleges, however, have no entrance requirement or only require a high school diploma or GED for admission.

Other Admissions Considerations

On average, most students applying to colleges and universities around the country can assume that the baseline for admission in terms of GPA is 3.0. Many schools, however, place more weight on other factors of admission beyond GPA or other academic scores. For example, colleges and universities are increasingly weighing a student's character in the admissions equation. Students who can demonstrate personal qualities that will be beneficial to campus can sometimes overcome an obstacle with academic achievement through volunteer experience, extracurricular activities, and letters of reference.

A number of considerations are taken into account when during the college admissions process. Maintaining high grades in the 3.0 to 4.0 range in high school can be beneficial for prospective students during that process; however, an applicant's high school GPA depends largely on the college's individual requirements as well as the weight given to other areas of interest to the institution in the application process. Overall, while an impressive high school GPA is typically recommended, it is not always the most important factor in admissions consideration.

• drip

For the USA , this is wrong.
      The size of the university does not determine what GPA is needed.
      Many public state universities do accept many students with lower than a 3.0 gpa.
      You can get into Iowa -big ten - universities with less than a 3.0

You must meet all minimum requirements to apply. If, you fail to meet any requirement, your application will not even be considered. But if you only meet those minimums, do not expect you have any chance of acceptance. They only accept the best of the applicants, often less than half of qualified applicants, even as few as 5% of them.

In my state, you are welcome to try a community college. You may have to take some remedial classes, but thoe who do well at community college are welcome at the state system of 4 year colleges. Private universities are different.

• drip

Most US Private universities do accept students from a CC. Their GPA would figure in and they may not accept all credits or classes taken

You can get admitted to a university somewhere (probably a state university in your own state) with a low GPA, but that may not be the school you want to attend. With a low GPA, you'll only get into a good school if you have something else that they want. You'll need to be a talented athlete that they need on their team, a talented musician that they want in the school band or orchestra, a talented writer or something similar. You'd need to have someone on the faculty or athletic dept. or music dept. who is willing to go to bat for you and say, "We'd like to have this student on our campus."

• edward

In Canada we don’t have anything like the SAT’s that could help if you were secretly smart. The university i went to you needed a 4.0 GPA to get in and to graduate and not get kicked out you need to maintain it. Passing is a 90% average with no marks below 80%.

• :)

So my high school GPA was a 3.3 weighted, and I don’t know what the unweighted was because my school only worked with weighted. I had a very rough start to high school/I was distracted and unmotivated. I drastically improved sophomore/especially junior years, by taking a total of 5 APs (and doing well on the exams/getting credit), and 8 honors classes. I got a 1700 on the SAT. Just your average/slightly above average student.

I got into 4/6 of the nursing programs I applied to. One program deferred me (in which I withdrew my application because better schools accepted me than that one), and I got rejected from another but was instead invited to major in public health. The funny part is, the two toughest schools I applied to accepted me. And I chose to go to one of them.

I’m now in the top 5% of my program and I’m doing a lot better overall. It sucks that your decisions you made at she’s 14-18 can really impact you for applications. But never be discouraged.