Why is it so hard to talk to my dad?

I swear if it’s not just a lighthearted topic it’s like he’s trying to start a debate or prove something to me. He’s such a know it all. He’s one of your typical republican, Christian dads who thinks that there’s only one way that’s right. Like all of his beliefs are very typical and traditional where in from, and I’m the type who questions everything and is more rebellious so we don’t get along very well. It sucks because I’m trying to get better at having a relationship with him, but it’s so damn hard to talk to him about anything. What do I do? How tf do I get along with him?

Maybe if you avoid politics and religion entirely as subjects of discussion you'll have a better relationship. There are a lot of families in this country who've had to take politics completely off the menu at get-togethers because things are just too contentious on the national scene right now.

maybe you need to ask him this question

• Bill

well to start with , he is older and has many years of experience so draw on that by listening and not argueing

You just listen but you don't have to agree so don't say anything

That will be on all subjects

IT is sort of like listing to all of the rubbish and sifting out what you common sense tells you may be right

if u want to talk - talk, do not start a debate. if he tries to start a debate - agree with him or tell him u do not want to discuss that topic