Anita asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Should I be careful about letting my 13 year old hang out with a girl who doesn’t receive adequate supervision?

My daughter’s new friend lives in a big foster group home. They met at our neighbourhood park over the summer. When I first met her, something seemed a little strange about her. Her foster home doesn’t seem to supervise her based on the life stories that she’s told my daughter. Besides, she doesn’t even live in our neighbourhood - why is she at our nearby park alone so often?? My daughter and her school friend both thinks she’s interesting. She is so different from all the other friendships that my daughter had. As a mother, I’m worried that this young girl might be a safety threat. If no one is looking out for her, then she’s vulnerable to sexual abuse and drugs. Once a child is lured to such evil acts, the abusers often force the child to help lure other kids in too. The girl could possibly introduce dangerous people to my own child. School doesn’t start until early September so I can’t have her occupied with homework yet. We aren’t going on any short vacations that would take her time away from that girl. Me, my husband and another set of parents didn’t expect our two daughters to encounter a child from such a broken environment.

Obviously. But instead of just protecting your daughter from this girl you should protect this girl from her errant fosterers. If she's roaming around with no place to be she's not getting the supervision your tax money is paying for. Contact the authority that manages the foster system in your area to report this.

i dont see anything wrong with your daughter hanging out with her, just cause shes in foster care dont mean shes going to do all that

If you were actually a parent, and were this concerned, you would make your own, mature decision about the situation. But you're not a parent.

How about you providing adequate supervision for your daughter rather than letting her go off with someone you don't trust? If you teach your daughter to be strong and have good values and standards, why would she be easily influenced by others rather than the other way around?

I think you shouldn’t fret about it. VERY likely nothing will happen. In fact, I would encourage this friendship. Teach your daughter a valuable lesson from this. Make sure she is open to many different environments and backgrounds, and can communicate with many different kinds of people. Because if she ever hits rock bottom, she won’t be as sterile and will know what to do. Even if something minor does happen, it’s not the end of your daughter. Children who are overprotected often suffer and encounter way more obstacles later in life. This is a proven fact. They don’t learn to judge and work and think for themselves when they are young and susceptible to knowledge, so overprotective and/or parents who spoil doom their children. Although it is natural to worry, and guidance is needed, over worrying and controlling behaviour towards friends or hobbies or style can permanently handicap them.