Extension of Rwandan Presidential term?

Going to Wikipedia, Pres. Kagame has been in office for 19 years, but the term limit is apparently a single 7-year term. Is there an explanation for this?

Best answer: Invasion after invasion+1st Congo war+2nd Congo war, the deadliest since World War II. After genocide and millions of deaths there is for the most part civility there after Colonialization back in the 1960's(Belgium and Germany) and many uprisings...So normalcy is the only answer! 7 years sounds long but for what every in the region has went through in last 50 years this might not be so bad! Saddam Hussein might be a comparison. With all the many groups that want power someone has got to keep all from destroying each other!! Not that I personally this he was a great example its as close to one that sort of resembles the situation ...

• Clive

Yes. It's called cheating.

• Jon

(supposedly) the voters approved a constitutional amendment ending the 2 term limit.

He can now rule till 2034.

• coverdaler

I thank you for providing me with the correct answer. While I do not believe in the best answer function (it implies that the best answer is the only one worth looking at), I actually researched this, and you are correct, except that he will reach the end of his third term in 2024. Have a good day.

Yes, it's called corruption and no one really giving a rats @ss what happens in in Rwanda.

what have Rwandan law makers and the public DOING about it for the last 12 years?

wringing their hands?

Yes, but YOU don't need to worry about it.

Let the Rwandan manage his own country, you worry about yours.